Buying my first set of fins. Which one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Get the Mares Avanti Quattro's. They are a tried and true fin without any gimmicks and they are arguably the best paddle fin made.

Dive-Rite

I've owned these:

Apeks RK3 (120€)
- Apeks RK3 HD (120€)
- Mares Avanti quattro+ (104€)
- Dive rite XT (140€)

My pick without a doubt is the DR XT.

I have small feet and the blade on smallest size on RK3 is lacking real estate.

The Mares I found too soft.

I like stiff fins and predominantly frog kick which the XTs excel at. Also in a medium blade is relatively large compared to a med RK3.

The XTs are slightly negative.

I've tried so many fins over the years and have now settled on the XT for wetsuit diving. If they broke or got lost/stolen I'd replace with the same, zero hesitation, although I'd swap newcplastic swivel straps to OG non swivel, they are compatible.

Buying without trying is a risk for sure.

FWIW I'd be considered a small guy, I don't have big strong legs, Im skeletal and wear size7 US just.

I don’t always wear fins, but when I do, I make sure they’re split 😝.

Seriously I use Apex RK3 and like them very much. But now I’m intrigued by the supernovas. When I travel light I have to rent fins, and it would be nice to have ones that can be disassembled.

I don’t always wear fins, but when I do, I make sure they’re split 😝.

Seriously I use Apex RK3 and like them very much. But now I’m intrigued by the supernovas. When I travel light I have to rent fins, and it would be nice to have ones that can be disassembled.

In my brain a fin that can taken apart can fall apart.

I've owned these:

Apeks RK3 (120€)
- Apeks RK3 HD (120€)
- Mares Avanti quattro+ (104€)
- Dive rite XT (140€)

My pick without a doubt is the DR XT.

I have small feet and the blade on smallest size on RK3 is lacking real estate.

The Mares I found too soft.

I like stiff fins and predominantly frog kick which the XTs excel at. Also in a medium blade is relatively large compared to a med RK3.

The XTs are slightly negative.

I've tried so many fins over the years and have now settled on the XT for wetsuit diving. If they broke or got lost/stolen I'd replace with the same, zero hesitation, although I'd swap newcplastic swivel straps to OG non swivel, they are compatible.

Buying without trying is a risk for sure.

FWIW I'd be considered a small guy, I don't have big strong legs, Im skeletal and wear size7 US just.
Diverite with size XL are 67,31cm long, so they could fit my backpack. But if they are negative, that's a big no no... I have big strong legs and hate when they are always sinking during dive

"Slightly negative" not F1 negative, my feet do not sink.

Unless super negative you can always compensate by moving BC down/tank up a fraction.

Super Nova, packs better than any of the others and out performs them.
standard cay on bag
IMG_8043.jpeg

IMG_8044.jpeg

outlaw b/c disassembled
IMG_8045.jpeg

you can pack a lot into the foot pocket too.
some clothes
IMG_8046.jpeg

these are my go to for even cold water drysuit diving, very versatile fin, make sure you look at the super nova not the old nova, it’s a good fin but not even close to the performance of the super.

I've tried RK3 at shop and they felt comfortable but many people say that they don't give much power?
I've been diving the RK3 for about 4 years now. I'm surprised people were telling you they don't give much power.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom