El Cid La Cieba vs staying in San Miguel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bavdg

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hoping all of those with knowledge of Cozumel can help me out. We are looking to do a quick trip from Houston to Cozumel in September for our AOW cert. It will be our first time to Cozumel. I had been planning on getting an airbnb in town and diving with Tres Pelicanos or another shop in town (I have been researching the multipage document posted in another forum detailing all of the possible dive ops). But, my brother has points at El Cid so we could stay there for free. My main question is getting back and forth to town. We would like to be able to check out restaurants and explore town. Is it a pain to take a taxi back and forth? We also don't know a lot about Babieca Dive Center, the dive op on property for El Cid. Does anyone have experience with them?
Thanks for any input!

If you stay at El Cid, consider diving with Roberta's Scuba Shack. It is about a block away. I will be doing exactly that in August.
I would second this recommendation. It would be very convenient for you, plus you'd have easy access to shore diving.

From El Cid, it's a quick (<10min?) ride to downtown and will cost about $6 US each way. It will be very quick/convenient to get a taxi at El Cid too.

Thank you L13 and nodokdive! Sounds like free accomadations win and I will absolutely check out Roberta's Scuba Shack.

1 1/2 years ago we stayed at El Cid. The cab ride into town is super easy and cheap. I did not do the all inclusive option, so I have no idea about the food served.

Here's a pic of the taxi rate posted at Casa Del Mar, which is 270 meters north of El Cid (closer to Centro/downtown). Our experience is that it's easier to carry pesos for cab rides - meaning it's more predictable and less chance of overpaying. The rates may have gone up. Have fun!

Screen Shot 2023-07-14 at 8.17.05 PM.png

We also don't know a lot about Babieca Dive Center, the dive op on property for El Cid. Does anyone have experience with them?

Have stayed at ECLC twice. They have some of the nicest toiletries - soap, shampoo, conditioner, lotion - of anyplace you'll stay (hope they haven't changed.) First time, we did the partial all-inclusive - I think it was 3 days AI and the rest of the days we went out on our own. The food was okay in their restaurant - the guacamole was great! Taxis are usually lined up along the street, and there are also several decent restaurants about a 5-7 minute walk away. Snorkeling there is pretty good. Night shore dives can be done from their pier.

As far as Babieca Dive Center, I'm not high on them - dove 1 day with them and it was fine (no different than many ops) - the next day I was taking off from diving but those diving waited for over an hour as the op didn't have air tanks. Same was true 2 more days after that. I wasn't taking chances after seeing that first delay and decided to dive with Roberta's Scuba Shack. They are about a 5-6 minute walk from ECLC. No difference in the dive sites or boat size, but the price is less at Roberta's and Roberta (I assume) is really friendly - it's a good, well-run op. Roberta's also has multiple boats vs 1 for Babieca. Staying at ECLC, you'll also be close to another shore dive (day or night) site located at Tikila's Beach Bar, one of the restaurants within walking distance.

Have stayed at ECLC twice. They have some of the nicest toiletries - soap, shampoo, conditioner, lotion - of anyplace you'll stay (hope they haven't changed.) First time, we did the partial all-inclusive - I think it was 3 days AI and the rest of the days we went out on our own. The food was okay in their restaurant - the guacamole was great! Taxis are usually lined up along the street, and there are also several decent restaurants about a 5-7 minute walk away. Snorkeling there is pretty good. Night shore dives can be done from their pier.

As far as Babieca Dive Center, I'm not high on them - dove 1 day with them and it was fine (no different than many ops) - the next day I was taking off from diving but those diving waited for over an hour as the op didn't have air tanks. Same was true 2 more days after that. I wasn't taking chances after seeing that first delay and decided to dive with Roberta's Scuba Shack. They are about a 5-6 minute walk from ECLC. No difference in the dive sites or boat size, but the price is less at Roberta's and Roberta (I assume) is really friendly - it's a good, well-run op. Roberta's also has multiple boats vs 1 for Babieca. Staying at ECLC, you'll also be close to another shore dive (day or night) site located at Tikila's Beach Bar, one of the restaurants within walking distance.
Thank you for your input regarding Babieca! Good to know and makes me very happy that we have booked our AOW with Roberta's. THey have been so helpful and we are looking forward to diving with them.

El Cid isn't bad, I hated their tiny unarconditioned elevators enough to stick with CDM. Plus The service is awesome at CDM. Santos has the best rock marg on the island besides mine - 2for1 HH daily 5 - 6 PM.

Super nice folks @ Robertas.

Be sure you go see Miguel @ Ernestos (directly next door to Robertas) 👍

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom