El Orans goes to Egypt...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

El Orans

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
The trip

After arriving at Hurghada Airport on March 24, 2005 but before clearing customs we were greeted by the local representative of Emperor Divers. Some money (€ 20) changed hands and our visum appeared in our passports as if by magic. After a brief stop at the Hurghada Hilton where one of our dive guides (Jules) joined the group we continued our journey to M/Y Dive One.
At about half pas eleven the bus arrived at Marsa Alam where all gear and baggage were brought aboard by zodiac. Luckily the cook had arranged a late night snack or the takeaway pizza that was brought along for one of the other dive guides would not have survived.

Our group was solely northern European: a Danish woman, a Swedish man, a German family of three and eight Dutchies. All being taken care of by three English dive guides (Simon, Jules & Helen).

After breakfast we were given our first briefing. What to do (drink a lot of water) and not to do (wear shoes in the saloon or cabin) on the boat. We were also urged to participate in the Chamber Support Program run by Deco International, a company that operates deco chambers along the Red Sea coast. Being a member will guarantee direct access into the chamber, if need be. Other dive insurance policies would have to be checked first (including DAN). We did take it though. Not because of the priority treatment but more to support a good cause.

Each briefing would also include which types of fish we were likely to see. Some were not mentioned by name like “pointy fish” and “big floppy things”. If their real names were used we probably wouldn’t see them… :D

Negative entries from the zodiac almost cost me a fin the first two times. Until I solved it by leaving the zodiac just a little later so that I was sure that no one was standing on my fins.

The route was supposed to take us to Elphinstone reef but our guides made the suggestion to skip it in favour of more dives in St. Johns and less travel time. Something that the majority of the seasick divers could appreciate…

The food was very good. Not always what I’d prefer but never lacking in quality or quantity…

Getting up at six in the morning for the first dive of the day is not always that easy. Especially if you didn’t get much sleep during the night because the engines were started at 3 AM to move the boat to the next site… :11:

Bring enough cash and the right batteries for your camera. You can pay by creditcard (but with a very lousy exchange rate) and they do sell batteries in the onboard shop (but not the right one).

Guides can be bribed... :wink: If you really want to get on their good side ask them before the trip if they’d like some goodies that are difficult to get in Egypt (like Marmite). Success guaranteed.

We had a pleasant surprise on the last day. Instead of being taken to Hurghada airport we were taken to the Hilton for a nice lunch and some pool time. Definitely a better option than hanging around at the airport…

The boat

Length: 33 m.
Width: 8 m.
Accommodation: 20 guests in 10 double cabins with en suite toilet - wide saloon and dining area - fully air conditioned- 1 outside toilet/shower - bar - stereo - TV - fridge-bar – DVD/video - photo/video batteries recharging area.
Diving: 15 L steel (air) and 12 L aluminium (Nitrox) tanks (DIN/INT).
Tender: 2 zodiacs 4,90 m. - 25 HP.
Safety equipment: oxygen kit, first aid, 2 life-rafts x 16 pax, life jackets, alarm system, fire extinguishers.

The dives

March 25, 2005
Shaab Marsa Alam - The Pinnacles (max depth 18 m., 46 min.)
Shaab Sharm (max depth 16 m., 44 min.)
Shaab Sharm – night dive (max depth 15 m., 40 min.)

March 26, 2005
(didn't do) Habili Gafer
Gota Kebir (max depth 29 m., 54 min.)
Dangerous Reef (max depth 20 m., 65 min.)
Dangerous Reef – night dive (max depth 14 m., 37 min.)

March 27, 2005
Gota Soraya (max depth 31 m., 46 min.)
Umm Arouk (max depth 20 m., 58 min.)
St. Johns Caves (max depth 16 m., 62 min.)
(didn't do) Sirinaka Island - night dive

March 28, 2005
Shaab Maksour (max depth 26 m., 44 min.)
(didn't do) Gota Sataya Soraya
Shaab Claude (max depth 18 m., 43 min.)
Abu Galawa Kebir - night dive (max depth 17 m., 49 min.)

March 29, 2005
Abu Galawa Soraya (max depth 24 m., 50 min.)
Shaab Hamam (max depth 20 m., 59 min.)
Ashenniat - Gota Soraya (max depth 17 m., 54 min.)

March 30, 2005
Habili Radir (max depth 24 m., 45 min.)
Shaab Marsa Alam (max depth 12 m., 71 min.)

Would I do it again?

Yep. However, I would make sure that I had some days off before and after my days on the boat since it’s quite a hectic schedule with four dives a day.

Laurens

That's a great trip report. How did you like St Johns? Of all the places I have been to, Elphinstone is my favorite. But there are plenty of other great reefs.

I like the part about getting the visa. On my last trip I sent my passport to the local Egyptian consulate. But if a last minute special comes up, that 20 goes a long way fast. I've used Emperor in Sharm and they were first rate.

El Orans:
The trip
Our group was solely northern European: a Danish woman, a Swedish man, a German family of three and eight Dutchies. All being taken care of by three English dive guides (Simon, Jules & Helen).
Laurens

What - No Belgiques or Oestereichers?

Laurens,

What were the temps and viz like that time of year?

Bonaire isn't too far off! :D

Kosh:
Laurens,

What were the temps and viz like that time of year?

Bonaire isn't too far off! :D
The water was 22/23 degrees Celcius. About 27 degrees on deck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom