Elbow bruise or dcs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AniMaL Diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi guys,
Longtime reader but first post so be gentle.

I am training as a divemaster in Honduras. Been here for 6 weeks and have over 100 dives as a DMT. Most are typical conservative profiles, but recently had a few where I was chasing newly certified guests up and down the wall. Never had my computer lock me out but have gotten close.

This week about 3 days after one of those dives, I started feeling pain in my left elbow (no other joints, just that one). It looks a little red, bruised, somewhat swollen and is a little warm to the touch. I can’t remember banging it on anything. It is a little sore when I extend my arm, but not really painful. No aching or throbbing. However, I get a sharp pain when I press directly on the elbow bone or push up on my forearms/elbow from a prone position. Maybe a 4-5 on the pain scale.

I am not on any long term medications (occasional lorazepam for insomnia, maybe 2x per month). I don’t have any medical conditions that are contraindications to diving or related to muscle/joint pain. I am a female, mid thirties, reasonable shape.

Told the boys at the shop who all immediately made the joke that I got bent then went about their day without looking too concerned. So here I am on ScubaBoard asking the question. Bruise or bends?

And if it is just a mild bruise, can I get a note from one of you doctors that I am gravely injured and the jokers at the shop can hump their own tanks out to the boat for a week as a punishment for freaking me out?

Thanks in advance for the responses.

External bruising tends to suggest an external cause. Not the bends.

My 2¢

Diving Doc

P.S. Note's in the mail...

However, I get a sharp pain when I press directly on the elbow bone or push up on my forearms/elbow from a prone position. Maybe a 4-5 on the pain scale.

Right or left handed? Epicondylitis from lugging heavy diving gear is one possibility...

External bruising tends to suggest an external cause. Not the bends.

My 2¢

Diving Doc

P.S. Note's in the mail...

Could be skin bends though.

Hi guys,
Longtime reader but first post so be gentle.

I am training as a divemaster in Honduras. Been here for 6 weeks and have over 100 dives as a DMT. Most are typical conservative profiles, but recently had a few where I was chasing newly certified guests up and down the wall. Never had my computer lock me out but have gotten close.

This week about 3 days after one of those dives, I started feeling pain in my left elbow (no other joints, just that one). It looks a little red, bruised, somewhat swollen and is a little warm to the touch. I can’t remember banging it on anything. It is a little sore when I extend my arm, but not really painful. No aching or throbbing. However, I get a sharp pain when I press directly on the elbow bone or push up on my forearms/elbow from a prone position. Maybe a 4-5 on the pain scale.

I am not on any long term medications (occasional lorazepam for insomnia, maybe 2x per month). I don’t have any medical conditions that are contraindications to diving or related to muscle/joint pain. I am a female, mid thirties, reasonable shape.

Told the boys at the shop who all immediately made the joke that I got bent then went about their day without looking too concerned. So here I am on ScubaBoard asking the question. Bruise or bends?

And if it is just a mild bruise, can I get a note from one of you doctors that I am gravely injured and the jokers at the shop can hump their own tanks out to the boat for a week as a punishment for freaking me out?

Thanks in advance for the responses.

Hi AniMaL, this sounds like a traumatic injury. As has been noted, presentation of bends 3 days out would be highly unlikely.

Best regards,
DDM

Non-dominant arm, but that is usually the one pulling up on the tank valve and I use my right to angle the tank and lift it from the boat to the dock step. Will try switching arms to see if it gives the left a rest (or if I get tennis elbow in the other arm too).

Thanks for all the replies, guys. Had a sea turtle poop on me today so I’d hate to have to give up this sport.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom