Electrolisis Treatment??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TCA

Reaction score
I am new on this and using it as a last resort, I am looking for some simple recepies to treat some metal from electrolysis also does any one by chance has a sugestion of a chemical that may remove some lime stone from old metal, some one sugests muriatic acid, but its too strong and damages week metal
k
please no smart coments.........thanks

Simple kitchen vinegar will dissolve calcium carbonate, given a bit of time. We've used that to clean coral off old bottles with good success.

It's not a chemical at all its baking soda,fresh water and electric current. I have to run to work now but tomorrow i will post how to do it. Believe me it's so simple. You will not get the shine i got on my piece from electrolysis alone. I buffed mine with a dremel tool. I did this because it was only a pipe fitting of no historic value. If your piece is of historic value or has markings on it you will not want to disturb the surface of the metal by buffing it. Historic pieces are best left in their natural state of discoloration after electrolysis.

There is a lot of info on using electrolysis on car and tractor restoration sites since it is idea for rust removal of large parts. Nice thing about using it instead of acid or other chemical soaks is that the electric current biases the corrosion process so the object you are treating does not rust any more no matter how long it is in the bath and no good metal will be removed. Washing soda, which you can get at the grocery store, is supposed to work best, and cheap rebar makes a good anode.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom