Eleuthera--??hot dive spots/dive shop? and......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

artbymusia

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone......After many years of absence from diving, back to it..Taking a new dive buddy for a first dive....thought Eleuthera would be a good introduction for them since they just got their license....and are very very excited about going under the sea to the Octopus' garden... :) .Thinking about staying away from the hustle bustle of Harbour Island (too many beach chairs there for me) and staying at Casurina Bay / Governor's Harbour..going this summer also to avoid the crowds and renting a small bungalow that has some acreage...yeah want peace and quiet too...why not ask for it all .......Last time I was in the Bahamas was some time back and I was fishing a big game tournament out of the Bimini big game club.....so know the atmosphere of the islands....Any suggestions of dive spots that are hot with lots of underwater beauty (not all thrilled with being around the shark clan....have fished too much for that I guess) and a good dive shop for tanks and other necessities? Dive gear suggestions? Last time I went in that area, I recall just a light weight shorty and could go off the beach or rent your own boat to dilly dally around for an introduction. Any suggestions for rentals of boats or kayaks....
Geez...sorry with all the questions....I like to be prepared and on top of it...and I thought the best people to ask are the people that have been there and experienced it first hand.....Also good hang out spots..... OR any other tips would be greatly appreciated....I am an artist by profession so any kind of tips there would be AWESOME!!!! Thanks in advance for your help and insight......
Wishing you clear waters and lots of beauty.......AJ

Welcome back to diving and the ScubaBoard!

Welcome to
:sblogo:
some can help that will come in here thats why the Board is so great!

Thanks JeffO......I am looking forward to it....there are still some serious miles in this body....want to make sure to burn them where the beauty is overwhelming and can be pictured in my mind as I go through the rigors of daily life. Truly I am a water sign...can not live without being around it or in it.....If life would of unfolded differently, I would probably live in Belize, Costa Rica or the Bay Islands. Been there enough to know that I could easily move in the easy flow. However, what makes it so sweet is because it is a treat instead of the same menu everyday. A place for rejuvination and reflection..........This is gonna be GREAT!!!

Thanks for your kind welcome!!!
Wishing you clear waters and bright skies.........
AJ

Thanks for the kind welcome Bob.
Hey, I hear that your Arch is some kinda Stargate that can take you immediately to any dive spot in this world and beyond....... any luck with that yet? :) Wouldn't that be nice!!!.....we ALL would come and join you for an excursion.
Just being silly and dreaming.......
Anyway.....bet you have seen some beautiful things and know some great spots. I am interested in knowing some.
Clear waters
AJ

Welcome to the board! Wow, this thread brought back memories. I haven't been to Eleuthera since my Spring Breaks in university. We used to go every year and stay in rental houses in Gregory Town back in the mid-70s. The price was something like $100 a week no matter how many people we had in the house! One year we had 33 people.......15 guys and 18 girls......all crammed inside and outside a two bedroom, one bath house! $3 for lodging for the week, $75 round trip flight to the island, about $10 gas each from Nashville to Ft Lauderdale (round trip!), we took most of our own food, and Standard Rum was a buck a bottle. It was bottled in recycled Coke bottles! Talk about a cheap Spring Break vacation.

Conch fritters, the lady who made fresh donuts every morning, picking pineapples, playing Wale's Tales drinking games, miles of deserted beaches (Atlantic side-Surfer's beach), and not a bathing suit in sight :mooner:. I just might have to go back there Mon! :D:D:D I just looked up Eleuthera on Google Earth, zoomed in, and it doesn't seem to have changed one bit, but I'm sure it has. I know I have, and I bet the prices have too.

I'd be interested in the dive shop question too. There doesn't seem to be much info on the Internet about diving in Eleuthera. Maybe there isn't much.

Good to know there are other Eleuthera lovers out there. I think this smile will be stuck on my face for days.

Thanks NO BOUNDARIES for the trip down nostalgia lane.....wow, it was really something back in our days..love abounded on so many planes....it was great times for introspection ....I do not know about you, but I was along the Watchtower with Jimi ... :) ....it is hard to believe the prices at the old pump, but the wateringhole prices have not changed that drastically..........praise to the rum gods!!
Now that I am older, I am trying to capture at least the beauty that IS still around.....I am sure the experience will even more rewarding when I view it with the eyes I now have....

I have heard back from a wonderful person and incredibly helpful--Taja, at Casuarina Bay
...In terms of SCUBA there are 3 main options.
1. Dive operation on Southern Eleuthera through the Island school. (www.islandschool.org)Beautiful reef and wall dives. Best for intermediate to advanced divers

2. Habour Island- there are 2 main dive operations and they have reef, wreck and various other dives:
Valentine's Dive Center Harbour Island Bahamas Diving and Snorkelling in the Bahamas or Welcome to Ocean Fox Diving, Eleuthera, The Bahamas

3. It is also possible to rent tanks and equipment right in Governors Harbour and do shore dives locally.

Here is the website for bahamas diving guide that may also have some useful information for you: Bahamas Diving Association: Official Dive Association for the Islands of The Bahamas

Hope to run into you one day down in Eleuthera, noboundaries............it would be fun to talk about the old days over a glass of rum.......

Clear waters....
AJ

AJ, I think you just became the expert on Eleuthera! Let us know when you're headed to the island, then come back here when you return from the trip and give us a dive and island time report.

Thanks for the links too. My head is spinning with the possibilities of getting back there next year. My wife has heard all my stories and she wants to go too. Very helpful AJ.

Enjoy your trip.

Ray

Yo Ray!!!
Thanks and I will........I stumbled across this great little place to stay----a house that is on 14 acres near Governor's Harbour and just perfect for two people. I like my room and space and distance from the crowd. It has its own private beach and kayak's come with the place. I will give you a report because it might be just the place that you and your wife would love. The place also has a caretaker that will help with whatever is needed and pick you up at the airport, get the car rented for you if that is your wish and just be around to offer assistance. They suggested that there it fun diving just from the kayaks that are close....so thinking about renting some tanks and doing that also....... The house that has a 360 view and wrap around deck sounds and looks from the pictures to be awesome.....just 25 feet or so from the ocean. It is on the Atlantic side.....Sounds too good to be true...we will see......It is incredibly reasonable on the off season.....for 9-10 days about 1400-1500 and if you want to bring along a couple of others there is a loft for them....minimal charges for extra people other than the two of you. If it turns out to be a hotty, I will definitely share the info and my contacts there. I am so excited about this that MY head is spinning also......maybe that is what naturally happens to people from our generation.....LOL......bring it on!!!

Anyway, just one last thing.....your ee cummings quote is perfect for us all....thanks for sharing that.

Until later
AJ

Yo Ray!!!
Thanks and I will........I stumbled across this great little place to stay----a house that is on 14 acres near Governor's Harbour and just perfect for two people. I like my room and space and distance from the crowd. It has its own private beach and kayak's come with the place. I will give you a report because it might be just the place that you and your wife would love. The place also has a caretaker that will help with whatever is needed and pick you up at the airport, get the car rented for you if that is your wish and just be around to offer assistance. They suggested that there it fun diving just from the kayaks that are close....so thinking about renting some tanks and doing that also....... The house that has a 360 view and wrap around deck sounds and looks from the pictures to be awesome.....just 25 feet or so from the ocean. It is on the Atlantic side.....Sounds too good to be true...we will see......It is incredibly reasonable on the off season.....for 9-10 days about 1400-1500 and if you want to bring along a couple of others there is a loft for them....minimal charges for extra people other than the two of you. If it turns out to be a hotty, I will definitely share the info and my contacts there. I am so excited about this that MY head is spinning also......maybe that is what naturally happens to people from our generation.....LOL......bring it on!!!

Anyway, just one last thing.....your ee cummings quote is perfect for us all....thanks for sharing that.

Until later
AJ

Hi AJ,

Welcome to the board. I joined a few months ago, and find the information invaluable, and the camaraderie a lot of fun. When you return, please post a trip report (and PM me, so I know that it is posted). I have been interested in diving in the Bahamas, but have yet to find something that sounds like what I want to do. Actually, I would be most interested in quality of diving (health of reef particularly), and finding a good dive operator. Any help would be great.

Erwin aka edpdiver

Back
Top Bottom