EM-5 in Cozumel, trip report and lots of pictures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow - some really great images there and lots of useful info.

I am holding off getting a housing for my E-M5, just waiting to see whether I can get away with only two ports - one for the 60mm macro and hopefully one other that I can use with the 8mm FE and a zoom lens.
Currently with my E-3 setup I use the 50mm macro + flat port and the 8mm FE and 12-60 in the same dome. I have never needed anything more for UW work, hoping I can emulate that with the new setup.

Thanks for posting, very useful for me !

Andy,

IMHO, you only need two lenses: 12-50mm and 8mm. With the Nauticam lens port for the 12-50 you can switch to "macro." A SubSee 10X will screw onto the 12-50 port for those really tiny critters. Two lenses, two lens ports...you're set.

I can't wait to take the 12-50 underwater.

Jim -

Thanks for posting your trip report. I can dive vicariously at SCC with your photos and descriptions! Glad the EM5 is working out well.

I've been shooting an E-PL1 with 14-42 mm for the last 3 years and love it - a nice upgrade from the C-5050. At least a lot less fish butt photos! Now to develop the keen eye to find the critters.

---

Great shots again Jim.
Isn't the 8mm a 4/3 lens and the camera a Micro 4/3 mount?
If so which adapter with which gear and port?

Have you tried 'back button' focus underwater? I have my PL1 set with the Fn (AEL/AFL) button set to focus/lock focus when pressed rather than using the shutter half press to focus. I assigned this to Manual Focus mode3 which allows the Fn button to S-AF and then lock it. As long as your distance to subject doesn't change, the focus will not change. The advantage is that if, for example, something else comes into the focus area the focus will not change and it will stay locked for any number of shutter releases until you press the Fn button again.

I have been using back button focus on land but not underwater. I will be trying it on an upcoming trip to the Keys. I can always change back to S-AF mode in the Super Control Panel if it is to cumbersome.

Those are fantastic photos, now you really made me want to switch my E-PL3 to the E-M5. Scratching my head if its worth the upgrade or wait another year or so.... but I have a trip coming soon..... Decisions decisions.... which btw what type of spare batteries did you use and how did they perform, could you charge them in the Oly charger or 3rd party charger? thanks for the info

Back
Top Bottom