Emergency ascent with a stuck inflator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you haven't noticed ... Dumpster was referring to installing the Air2 hose

No, he's not.

If you haven't noticed...the Air2 hose won't fit a standard LPI.

I have noticed, and I can make mine do so, with a QD adapter which leaves the large diameter QD in place ... it's for if I ever have trouble with my BC and need to plug my hose into a standard inflator
... I don't know if you could get a fitting to replace the one on your regular inflator so you could use the larger fitting without one , maybe you could

I like the idea of the drysuit hose with the built in metal hat, mine has one .

I like the idea of the drysuit hose with the built in metal hat, mine has one.

Depending on the drysuit hose that may not work. The metal "hat" on the DUI hose is too wide to fit on an LP inflator, not enough room between the nipple and where the corrugated hose attaches:

RP_QDH-36DS-2T.jpg

You'll see that's why these "hose hats" have a flattened side, allowing for that smaller space:

60003_IMAGE_MEDIUM.jpg

There are hoses, like the Si-Tech that have more of a "wing nut" sort of fitting that might work:

Dive_Rite_DrySuit_Hose.jpg

Of course, the major challenge with a drysuit hose is that they are pretty much 30" - 36" long...a bit much for an LPI hose.

I like the little HAT idea, I have never seen them before!

.....yeah, some of the best ideas turn out to be the most obvious! (I've installed those little 'hats' on (6) of my regs recently....and 'yes' they DO fit on the MIFLEX LP inflator hoses... :) )

In the event that it caused a rapid accent I would go further to suggest at the very least a break in the days diving to access the effect of the accent on your body.

Cubans and Italians will especially be vulnerable to the effects of rapid "accents." :D

As far as "accessing" these effects, I suppose you might be able to use the increased arm gesturing associated with rapid accents to build upper body strength.:wink:

All in good fun, everyone makes spelling mistakes.

Depending on the drysuit hose that may not work. The metal "hat" on the DUI hose is too wide to fit on an LP inflator, not enough room between the nipple and where the corrugated hose attaches:

RP_QDH-36DS-2T.jpg

You'll see that's why these "hose hats" have a flattened side, allowing for that smaller space:

60003_IMAGE_MEDIUM.jpg

There are hoses, like the Si-Tech that have more of a "wing nut" sort of fitting that might work:

Dive_Rite_DrySuit_Hose.jpg

Of course, the major challenge with a drysuit hose is that they are pretty much 30" - 36" long...a bit much for an LPI hose.

...an word of caution/observation about the DSS 'hose hats'.......although they do have that little cresent-shaped indention to help provide clearance, make sure your corrugated hose doesn't obstruct the movement of the 'hats'.......the 'hats' spin such that the cresent-indention may not stay in position......I'm using Deepoutdoors corrugated hoses, which are thin/smooth enough that even if the 'hats' spin out of position, there is still enough clearance to disconnect the LP hose......however, there are other brands of corrugated hose (ie Diverite, for example) that use a slightly wider corrugated hose that MAY block the quick/smooth removal of the LP hose/hat.....so double check you gear for that potential issue.

Sure, maybe it's easier to remove an air 2 hose in the case of a stuck inflator. The only problem is that you also disable your alternate air source.

Yet another reason to avoid octo/inflators.

I have an airsouce 3 with a valve that shuts off just the LP inflator, not the alternate air source. It is quite easy easy using 1 hand, even with gloves on. :D

Sure, maybe it's easier to remove an air 2 hose in the case of a stuck inflator. The only problem is that you also disable your alternate air source.

Yet another reason to avoid octo/inflators.

I don't see that DD suggested the conventional octo be eliminated. :)

Unfortunately most recreational diver do not regularly practice controlling their buoyancy manually and the dive would probably be over in the event of a stuck power inflator.
In the event that it caused a rapid accent I would go further to suggest at the very least a break in the days diving to access the effect of the accent on your body.
If an Air 2 was being used:
Yes most models use a LP hose with a larger connector that is easier to disconnect.
Yes it would disconnect the alternate second stage but most experienced divers realize that most regulator failures are due to 1st stage freeze in cold water. Disconnecting the freeflow puts the diver back in control and may allow the diver to work the button free and reconnect the LP hose. However without a pony bottle the safety margin is compromised and the diver should be accending. Since I believe the OP mentioned being Solo a Pony bottle should have been in the equation and the Air 2 would have been a fine selection given the larger connector and a pony bottle.
I have one further refinement. Given the OP seems to prefer being equipped with a DiveAlert my suggestion is an Aquatec Air 3. This is a Air 2 style octo/inflator with a built in sounder that works both underwater and on the surface. This would get the DiveAlert out of the divers way and give the larger disconnect on the LP hose.

Thanks for the input. I'm really not an advocate for the octo/inflator. I'd rather hand off my octo. Oh, I didn't mention it, but yes, I do sling a 19 pony when going solo and on certain shore dives with buddies.
After having heard several people mention that they would keep their Dive Alert in their pocket, I think I need to at least try this out.
I also ordered a couple of hats last evening. Thought they were universal...Hope they fit! At four bucks I guess I won't be out much if they don't!
Bob
Bob
BC

This might help you properly maintain the power inflator:

https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=1301

Vladimir,
Thanks for that link. Have you used this device? I like the idea of it alot. I'm just curious if one needs to be concerned about running a garden hose at more than a low pressure through an inflator?
As I stated in my first post on this subject, I have always felt that I maintain/clean my equipment well after each dive. It wasn't until my inflator button stuck that I began second guessing myself that even though my regs, bc, and clothing are clean, I am obviously not getting back into the inflator parts.
Someone also previously mentioned using a solution of vinegar and I meant to thank he/she...... Thanks (smile)
BC

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom