Emergency First Response Instructor /instructor trainer courses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aparatchiki

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I'm a recently certified PADI DM...and I've been an EFR instructor for 2 years. However I've focused more on the EFR side than the scuba diving. That being said, I only dive for fun even as a DM. and earn additional money from conducting EFR classes. I've taught several EFR classes in several countries including the US and in SE Asia.

I'm considering taking up the upcoming EFR Instructor Trainer course. and I'm currently studying the options regarding the "what next" after I obtain the EFR IT credential. I think that being an Instructor Trainer definitely increases value to my work as an EFR educator as well as in my day job. While the marketing aspect is certainly going to be discussed in the EFT IT porgram.

I'm thinking of initially running an EFR Instructor program in the US particularly in California and Nevada after obtaining my new credential. What do you think would be the "barriers to entry". and what are the "opportunities" as an EFR IT in the west coast.

Of course I'm in consultation with the EFR HQ. and they've been very helpful. but i would like to hear from other professionals such as myself out there who've "been there, done that".

Perhaps it's worthy to mention that my new job requires me now to relocate from SE Asia to California.

Thanks!

I'm not sure there's much of a market for it outside of a dive shop. Most people turn to the Red Cross for those types of courses. I didn't see a whole lot of it when I was in AZ and couldn't get much going on my end. CA may be different, but I doubt it.

Well, I must agree with Dive-aholic. Other than LDS, many companies/agencies request that an employee be trained and certified by ARC (American Red Cross ) or AHA (American Heart Association). Even the first responders in my area get ARC trained, unless you plan on crossing over to another agency for first aid/CPR training you may want to reevaluate your plan. But whatever you decide, good luck.

You might consider further training that is above and beyond ITC's for PADI/NAUI or even American Red Cross, in order to make yourself more marketable here and stand apart from the multitudes of generic EFR Instructors out there . . .look into Wilderness EMT Training; the only thing higher than this IMO would be a Paramedic Trainer, Military Service Medic/Corpsman Instructor or Medical Doctor. . .

You might consider further training that is above and beyond ITC's for PADI/NAUI or even American Red Cross, in order to make yourself more marketable here and stand apart from the multitudes of generic EFR Instructors out there . . .look into Wilderness EMT Training; the only thing higher than this IMO would be a Paramedic Trainer, Military Service Medic/Corpsman Instructor or Medical Doctor. . .

Thanks for your replies...

Just to clarify... Im already an EFR Instructor. and Im contemplating on moving onwards to becoming an EFR Instructor Trainer. (I'm also an EMT-B...although it is not my bread and butter...and I have not registered as one) however my experience in SE Asia has proven that teaching EFR courses alongside other agencies such as Red Cross and AHA has proven itself quite profitable (and to think It wasn't my regular job)... I'm wondering if the situation might be the same elsewhere (i.e. US).

Also there have been many cases that I have conducted EFR courses outside of the diving circles. In fact in the Philippines I remember a PADI CD telling me that I'm the only one doing it and making money out of it...since over 60% of the students I have certified are non-divers.

Keep em coming... this is definitely enlightening for me.

Thanks!

As an EFR IT in CA, I would agree that the 95% of the market for EFR Instructors are those affiliated with Dive Shops.

While your "..experience in SE Asia has proven that teaching EFR courses alongside other agencies such as Red Cross and AHA has proven itself quite profitable", I think you would find it different in CA. Although, I would be curious on your definition of profitable....we may be comparing apples and oranges........so, if you don't mind asking, what do you charge per EFR student?

As an EFR IT in CA, I would agree that the 95% of the market for EFR Instructors are those affiliated with Dive Shops.

While your "..experience in SE Asia has proven that teaching EFR courses alongside other agencies such as Red Cross and AHA has proven itself quite profitable", I think you would find it different in CA. Although, I would be curious on your definition of profitable....we may be comparing apples and oranges........so, if you don't mind asking, what do you charge per EFR student?

Short of disclosing how much i make hehe :D LDS here charge between USD100-150 for the EFR course which is taught alongside the PADI Rescue courses (which has a separate fee from the EFR course)

My market has always been outside of the diving community...like factories and plants, hotels, security agencies etc. which allowed me bring the cost down provided there is quantity.

I was very disappointed with the qualify of the first aid training I had received from a PADI EFR course. It hardly touched the surface, and worse than what I presented to the cub scouts in 10 minutes.

I've never taken an AHA, Redcross, or other emergency first aid class to compare to PADI EFR. It is likely the instructor, but the video was also not so impressive. My background in first aid is simply having been a practicing veterinarian, a practicing family physician, a military physician, attedant of combat casualty course for physicians, ATLS trained .... I think I can add a thing or two to how a good diver's EFR program should be ran. I do minor skin surgery of the face, scalp, arms and legs daily, and pressure dressing is utilized daily in my practice.

My belief is that without actual hands on experience on how to apply pressure to an arterial bleed, the EFR course is substandard.

Without hands on experience in applying a pressure dressing to stop an arterial or venous bleed, the course is inadequate.

Without hands on experience applying a tourniquet after pressure dressing fails, the course is inadequate.

An ideal course should also cover how to apply pressure dressing to a scalp or forehead cut -- but it is beyond the capabilities of many EFR instructors.

One can do all the above with nothing more than one or two torn T shirt, a roll of toilet paper, a tampon, or any field expedient dressing.

Figures, another quick and dirty EFR class. Maybe an active AFR instructor here can outline the skills development session for the courses Primary and Secondary portions that you were supposed to do?

Not to flame PADI's EFR program at all. Last year I was totally shocked at the quality of my ACLS renewal course, offered by a corporation that specializes in AHA training. Pathetic and sad, breaking every rules in the book. I contacted the office in charge at the AHA, and they said I'd have to present the complaint to the program director first. Guess who was the program director?? It was the father of the instructor. He passed it off to another officer in the company, explaining why they were compliant in most of my complaints (totally wrong), and that the instructor was being chastened for the quality of his teaching (yeh, right).

The problem with simply associating the brand (AHA, PADI, redcross) with the quality of instruction is that you do ignore the qualification of the instructor.

So far, I do not trust how AHA responded to my complaint. I do know that PADI has some kind of quality assurance program, but I don't know how well that works either.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom