Emergency First Response Instructor /instructor trainer courses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It doesn't work too well. I had an issue when I first became an EFR instructor. I expressed my concerns and nothing has changed. And it's not likely to change. ARC and AHA have both gone to video driven courses. EFR is doing the same thing. By doing this they can try to ensure that all students get the same basic education. A lot of these courses are also being dumbed down. I remember taking ACLS when it was a pass or fail class and if you didn't pass it you could lose your job. Now it's a show up, pay the fee, here's your card thing just like all the other courses. I wouldn't have so much of a problem with it except most other nurses and docs I'm in codes with don't know WTH they are doing. We're dealing with lives here.

I think there are some McDonald types of CPR training that goes from doctor to doctor's office, business to business, etc. that does quicky training for a bunch of staff over an hour or so. Seeing how some AHA classes are ran, I am not sure if this is not a bad idea.

I've seen online CPR courses that gives certification. It might be a good start for someone to do. On line CPR and first aid training, with online testing. Then do the practical training and testing in person at a business, office, etc.

There is a company that runs eACLS and get you certified online. Not an official AHA certification, but just a certificate of CME credits. Then you have to take a practical exam at a regular brick and mortar facility to earn your real ACLS card.

I laughed at this idea when I encountered it about 2 years ago. But, since I have taken such a crappy ACLS course in a real live facility.... The idea of online learning is much more appealing.

I think if one can affordably offer good online training in CPR/first aid, and follow up with practical training.... there could really be a market for it. Just hope that quality people actually run the company instead of someone trying to make a quick buck.

After my last ACLS renewal, an good online program would have been better...

I'm not sure if it's Florida or the new AHA program that's at fault.

I've seen online CPR courses that gives certification. It might be a good start for someone to do. On line CPR and first aid training, with online testing. Then do the practical training and testing in person at a business, office, etc.

I think if one can affordably offer good online training in CPR/first aid, and follow up with practical training.... there could really be a market for it. Just hope that quality people actually run the company instead of someone trying to make a quick buck.[/QUOTE]

I found some of those online courses. Found one, emailed then that I wanted to become an instructor (with no previous experience :)). They mailed me a CPR, 1st Aid and an AED instructor kit with student materials (for a fee of course).

So I bypassed all that non-sense about becoming a provider 1st with actual handson experience, did not have to pay an IT to train me to become an instructor or even have to demo any practical hands on for CPR, 1st Aid or AED use.

Dont you just love the internet!

You can get a J.D. and be a lawyer online through California. The only catch is that you can only sit for the BAR exam in CA. I guess after you practiced, recipricocity will likely allow you to practice in other states.

The time will come, where you can get many other degrees and certificates online. I think the military are championing alot of these programs. It saves time, money, and resources.

Actually, there is no reciprocity with the CA law program. You can practice in CA or in federal courts, but that's it. No other state will recognize that program, even after a few years of practice. It's unfortunate because law school is perfect for the Internet.

I need to echo that EFR is not even close to the healthcare industry standard as far as choosing an agency. I will say that American Heart, Red Cross, ASHI are widely recognized and used. If you are looking to expand your abilities as a CPR instructor, you may want to consider crossing over to an instructor in one of those agencies then go from there.

In addition, ILCOR, international liasion committee on resuscitation works hand in hand with AHA to develop those cardiovascular care guidelines that all the other agencies pull from. The following agenices sit on the ILCOR committee:
The International Liaison Committee on Resuscitation (ILCOR) was formed in 1992 to provide a forum for liaison between principal resuscitation organisations worldwide. Although the criteria for participation were not closely defined, member organisations were expected to have an accepted remit for creating resuscitation guidelines, preferably for more than one country, and to be multidisciplinary in membership. At present, ILCOR comprises representatives of

American Heart Association (AHA)
European Resuscitation Council (ERC)
Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada (HSFC)
Australian and New Zealand Committee on Resuscitation (ANZCOR)
Resuscitation Councils of Southern Africa (RCSA)
Inter American Heart Foundation (IAHF)
Resuscitation Council of Asia (RCA - current members Japan, Korea, Singapore, Taiwan).

In addition, this is a statement about ILCOR:
ILCOR meets twice each year usually alternating between a venue in the United States and a venue elsewhere in the world. In collaboration with the AHA, ILCOR produced the first International CPR Guidelines in 2000 and an International Consensus on CPR and ECC Science with Treatment Recommendations in 2005. Once again, in collaboration with the AHA, ILCOR is now co-ordinating an evidence-based review of resuscitation science, which will culminate in a Consensus Conference in February 2010. The proceedings of this meeting, to be published in October 2010, will provide the material for regional resuscitation organisations, such as the ERC, to write their resuscitation guidelines.

So perhaps the best choice if you want to be on the cutting edge of healthcare as it relates to CPR would be to choose AHA or since you mentioned SE asia, RCA. Heck go for both!

EFR doesn't offer the health care version of CPR, but it is still within ILCOR standards for lay people. The major problem with it is it has limited itself to lay people only.

As for teaching for AHA, the main problem with that is you cannot be an "independent". You must work with a training center and offer all courses through that training center. At least with ARC and EFR you can work independently, through ARC as an Authorized Provider.

I would say your main market would be Dive shops but as far as training Instructors, I don't expect that would be too good cause PADI is going to make it mandatory for Instructor Candidates to have it so the CDs will probably make it part of the IDC.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom