Emergency First Response

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HIDBOY

Reaction score
Why does PADI USA keep pushing the Emergency first response program in Canada when it's not recognized by the Canadian government and other organisations through out this country. I have spoken to Randy Giles of PADI Canada about this matter but to date he has not gotten this program accepted. I don't like paying for a program and or should I say being told I need this updated program when it has know recognition.

HIDBOY

Its the same thing with the defib program....I am not saying that its not a good thing but in Ontario its a delegated medical act. I am sure that will change eventually. I would suggest sticking with the pros like St Johns Ambulance

Nothing Padi does surprises me any more, I can't wait for Randy to do his yearly visit for update I want to educate him on what is and isn't in the instructor manual.

The program is not required until January 2004. That should give PADI time to get all the other stuff worked out, and for course directors and others to integrate the program, obtain materials, train instructors etc.

On the other hand, are you convinced that EFR won't ever be recognized in Canada?

Why does it matter if the course isn't recognized by the Canadian government?

Knowing how new EFR is and how slow the gov. is in anything they need to approve for "medical" reasons, it doesn't surprise me (I can't buy melatonin here either, all the "protein" meal replacement bars have totally different formulations, I can't buy anything with ephedrine in it either because the government doesn't recognize that perhaps some citizens are capable of reading the instructions...sorry...different rant...back to topic).

I was under the impression that the purpose of first aid courses was to teach lay people basic primary and secondary first aid skills. In an emergency situation "good samaritan" type laws with their emphasis on doing what a prudent person would should protect you in a legal sense regardless of what course you took. I could be totally wrong but I doubt that you are going to be asked to show your applicable certification card if you are the person performing CPR when the paramedics arrive.

In terms of diving accidents, I don't see where government approval is paramount to the average diver. If they have the basic skills, I'm sure they will use them to save lives without fail. But...on the other hand, and perhaps this is the problem, if government approval of a first aid program is a requirement for insurance purposes then it becomes an issue but...aren't some insurances bought through PADI or DAN in the US?

Let me know. :confused:

bwerb once bubbled...
Why does it matter if the course isn't recognized by the Canadian government?

Knowing how new EFR is and how slow the gov. is in anything they need to approve for "medical" reasons, it doesn't surprise me (I can't buy melatonin here either, all the "protein" meal replacement bars have totally different formulations, I can't buy anything with ephedrine in it either because the government doesn't recognize that perhaps some citizens are capable of reading the instructions...sorry...different rant...back to topic).

I was under the impression that the purpose of first aid courses was to teach lay people basic primary and secondary first aid skills. In an emergency situation "good samaritan" type laws with their emphasis on doing what a prudent person would should protect you in a legal sense regardless of what course you took. I could be totally wrong but I doubt that you are going to be asked to show your applicable certification card if you are the person performing CPR when the paramedics arrive.

In terms of diving accidents, I don't see where government approval is paramount to the average diver. If they have the basic skills, I'm sure they will use them to save lives without fail. But...on the other hand, and perhaps this is the problem, if government approval of a first aid program is a requirement for insurance purposes then it becomes an issue but...aren't some insurances bought through PADI or DAN in the US?

Let me know. :confused:

Yes some first aid is better than no first aid training. That being said it is easier to market a course which is recognized by agencies such as WSIB. Recognized courses help with employment opportunities and employers benefit by reduced premiums for things such as WSIB. Established groups such as the Red Cross and St Johns Ambulance offer such courses for competitive prices and they are recognized.

Good samaritan laws are often "case law" depending on which province you are in. For instance Ontario just came out with the Good Samaritan Act.

With regards to the defib program....in Ontario it is a delegated medical act.....that means a physician must sign for you to use a defibrillator under his/her licence.

The program should not be promoted as an international program when it does not meet local protocols.

Why does PADI USA keep pushing the Emergency first response program in Canada when it's not recognized by the Canadian government and other organisations through out this country.

MFA was NOT allowed to be a "recognized" workplace CPR/1st aid program simply because of politics.

The parent company that invented it (EMP out of the US) had an agreement with PADI that even though the EMP program & MFA were IDENTICAL, PADI was not allowed to market or teach it as a program that was recognized by Heath & Welfare Canada or any of the Provincial Health regulatory agencies. That was only to be EMP's domain.

So in effect, MFA was NEVER recognized... it was EMP that was recongnized.

Thus the issue of EFR being "recognized" is irrelevant because PADI never really had a program that was sanctioned by H&S in the first place.

That may change if PADI wants to try hard enough to push it through all the right gov't channels.

In the meantime, the point is really moot. EFR is replacing MFA in the next year....

~SubMariner~

since you're a transplanted Canadian:)

Was or is MFA recognized in the USA---along the same lines as the discussion about recognition in Canada?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom