Emergency O2-- decisions, decisions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jeff Toorish

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hi all,

I want to pick up an emergency oxygen kit. DAN has several to choose from. I'm looking at the DAN Rescue Pak Extended Care and the Extended Care with MTV-100.

And there's the question, is the MTV-100 worth while? The difference in cost is about $150. I don't want to scrimp on safety, of course, but I also don't want to buy something that isn't necessary.

Or does anyone have any other suggestions?

So...what do you think?

Jeff

We had a lengthy discussion and demonstration about MTV units in a class I was in tonight. if the patient's heart is beating, rescue breathing can sustain their oxygen needs for some time. If you have an MTV unit, it will save you significant fatigue if you have to give rescue breaths for any significant amount of time.

Note, however, that there has been some backlash against the units that deliver air at high rates (I think it was 160 L/m?), and some areas have switched to a much lower delivery rate per button press (40 L/m?). Apparently, there is concern of lung overexpansion injuries on the higher volume unit unless you're paying darn close attention.

Based on what I observed and discussed, I think you're better off getting the MTV-100. That, however, is the opinion of a lay observer and not a professional.

Keep in mind that the MTV likely also requires additional training...

If you commence EAR/CPR then you are obliged to keep going until EMS arrive. In most classes you take you will do this for a short while. In reality giving 30:2 compressions to breaths is going to wear you out very soon. Anything that makes this process easier is worth the life it may save.

None of the ambulance services that I know of in Texas "including Houston Fire Department" use "Demand or Forced Gas Regulators"

A demand O2 regulator is completely useless in the field....
A Forced GAs O2 regulator is a lung injury waiting to happen...

A demand O2 regulator on a conscious patient makes them feel like they are fighting for breath.....

If you need to give O2 to an unconscious patient use an AMBUE bag with the O2 line plugged in to it and the regulator flow dialled wide open....

If you need to give high flow O2 to a conscious patient use a bag valve mask.........

I used to be a paramedic and for lack of time in the States to attend all the refresher training each year have dropped back to Advanced Skills EMT. I would never use a Demand Reg on a breathing patient and on an unconscious patient a Forced Gas reg is very dangerous "real easy to cause expansion injury or even pop a lung" ...

But please don't take my word for it... drop buy the fire station or where ever your local ambulance runs from... talk with the EMT's and Paramedics.. They will be happy to show you what they use....

Once you decide what type of gear you want - Tank Size - and delivery pieces you can pick the stuff up allot of places cheaper then from DAN....

rickydazla:
If you commence EAR/CPR then you are obliged to keep going until EMS arrive. In most classes you take you will do this for a short while. In reality giving 30:2 compressions to breaths is going to wear you out very soon. Anything that makes this process easier is worth the life it may save.
You are obliged to continue it until EMS arrives OR you become too tired to continue.

Hopefully there are other people around with the training to jump in and trade places.

Thanks everyone...

I also checked with my O2 instructor, and he suggested that you pretty much have to be an EMT to use the MTV. I'm not so that answers the issue.

Again, thanks for the input.

Jeff

HowieDean:
None of the ambulance services that I know of in Texas "including Houston Fire Department" use "Demand or Forced Gas Regulators"

A Forced GAs O2 regulator is a lung injury waiting to happen...

A demand O2 regulator on a conscious patient makes them feel like they are fighting for breath.....

If you need to give O2 to an unconscious patient use an AMBUE bag with the O2 line plugged in to it and the regulator flow dialled wide open....

If you need to give high flow O2 to a conscious patient use a bag valve mask.........

All true.....

HowieDean:

For the overwhelming majority of patients treated this may be true. However, a non-rebreather does not provide 100% O2 which can be achieved with a demand mask. Also, a constant flow setup like a nonrebreather is very wasteful. If you expect a long time before handing the patient off to EMS you might be concerned with conserving your oxygen supply.

HowieDean:
But please don't take my word for it... drop buy the fire station or where ever your local ambulance runs from... talk with the EMT's and Paramedics.. They will be happy to show you what they use....
They will also show you the oxygen bottle they have in their unit which is significantly large than anything you'd consider taking diving.

Divers have needs which your normal EMS units don't have to consider so I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the use of demand valves.

Back
Top Bottom