Empress of Ireland

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can assure you if you asked Dany to dive this thing on a single tank he would say thanks, but no thanks.

He's not really interested in taking single tank ALU80 bounce divers to the wreck. He is more than aware (obviously) of the idiocy of such a venture.

In his own words, 'I've seen too many dead people.'

Tek Adventure Diver:
Well the cold is nothing, Im used to diving in 35 degrees and ive dove in 7 knot currents many times, or does it get stronger then that?

My tec instructor is a North Atlantic diver and has dived the Empress many times and says it is a great dive. He says the visibility can be very low and the currents can be a challenge. The top of the wreck is about 85 ft I think, so it is within recreational limits, however it is not a dive that someone should make without a heck of alot of experience with cold water, low visibility and challenging currents. One thing though...Wouldn't it be nearly impossible to dive in a 7 knot current or am I missing something here. :confused:

rawls:
Wouldn't it be nearly impossible to dive in a 7 knot current or am I missing something here. :confused:

He's talking about diving in Sarnia. The current in the St Clair River is rather strong. The following site pegs it at 6-8 knots normally:http://www.midwestconnection.com/diving/diving_st_clair_north.htm
Others say it it 4 to 5 knots.
Having been diving in Sarnia doesn't mean you are ready for the Empress, but it does have some challenges.

Yep, until it falls down your throat accidentally, and chokes you to death. I also believe the same thing with just about any dive. (Any idiot can fall off a boat, land on the wreck below, and turn around a make it back).

Unless of course you mean just one lick just isn't enough......in which I would agree yet again.

Not going to debate what Dany himself has told me and I what I also witnessed this year while diving with him.

There was in fact a single tank diver on the wreck, licking it I think :wink: lol

The last thing anyone needs is the FQAS doing more damage to scuba in Quebec because some of us that choose to dive the wreck are doing so needlessly under equipped and trained. Fortunately Dany does his due-diligence and I have a lot of respect for him for putting safety ahead of charter fees.

I know that I have ridden TAD harder than probably anyone here. I believe that he has learned that he doesn't need to impress us or lie about himself in attempt to do that. He DID come here asking a serious question, and was met promtly by more teasing. He and I shared some PM's about this. I believe that he has created a new account, because that is the only way to get a fresh start. Maybe we will recognize him under the new name, and if so I, personally will treat him with the respect I give to anyone else here. I hope all others can do the same, and that TAD really has changed and doesn't give reason for taunting.

FD

i have a dozen or so dives on her and have never seen more than 2 knots. you dive the slack, you know. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom