Entry level Tech Diving Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

davidctomlinson

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm not sure what is a good nitrox/tech diving computer, except that they seem to be expensive, $1K or more. I don't want to have to buy a different one next year, when I get into more advanced tech diving, but want one that will be good through multiple gas (tri-mix) and 60+ meters. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm not sure what is a good nitrox/tech diving computer, except that they seem to be expensive, $1K or more. I don't want to have to buy a different one next year, when I get into more advanced tech diving, but want one that will be good through multiple gas (tri-mix) and 60+ meters. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi David,

Sadly any computer with Trimix is going to be up in the expensive price range!

The best choice in my opinion is the Liquivision X1, that comes at $1399 then an additional $150 for the software (V-Planner, Multideco or GAP). Sadly any good 'tech' computer is not always so good for recreational diving as simple features like the 'dive plan' will ask for proposed dive info then give you a deco plan NDLs for each depth.

A good go between would be the Apeks Quantum/Dive Rite Duo (Its the same computer with a different name). This gives you a solid two gas computer so can be used for a back-up on technical deep dives with tables used as the primary deco plan.

The good news is that the Apeks Quantum is currently on clearance sale in Whitetip (over in Malate, Manila) for $300 (currently about 13k PHP) - I'd say that's a good price and would be a very good starting option, it won't take you through to trimix deco planning but most trimix divers tend to use tables rather than computers for deco planning anyway.

Going straight to trimix may be a little step too far, particularly as by the time you're qualified to dive trimix you're likely to have spent so much on equipment the cost of another computer becomes less significant :) Also having back-up computer on any tech dive (or using the quantum in gauge mode) is always recommended if you're serious about trimix diving.

Do you sell the Liquivision? $1400 plus $150 for software? The Shearwater Predator is $1145 and includes software. Both computers are good tech units but the Shearwater is a far better value. Another feature of the Predator is user replacable battery unlike the Liquivision. Check out both computers before buying. I had the opportunity to dive the Nitek X, Liquivision, VR3, and predator before buying. The Predator was my favorite, easy to use, easy to see, and very "simple"

I used a Dive Rite Nitek Duo through advanced nitrox/deco procedures. It is a two gas computer and suitable for "normal" recreational dives. When you make the jump to trimix the duo works well as a bottom timer in guage mode.

Used duo's are fairly inexpensive. The duo is a Seiko computer and comes in many flavors. Zeagle N2ition, Dive Rite Duo, Tusa IQ700 ect..

Good luck.

Definitely go with the Predator over the X-1. I have used both and the predator is much more user friendly and the screen is easier to see. It is priced very competitively for what you get and will easily "grow" with you as you advance in your diving. Good luck with your decision. Not too long ago I was in your shoes. I chose the predator and could not be happier. Hope this helps.

but want one that will be good through multiple gas (tri-mix) and 60+ meters. Any help would be appreciated.

My Choice was the Predator. Superb computer and very reasonable price given its capabilities.

But.......... when doing 60+ meter trimix dives you will need 2 computers/bottom timers.

So.......Why not buy a Duo first. That will be fine for moderate deco dives. When you graduate to deep Trimix put it in gauge mode as a bottom timer and treat yourself to the Predator.

Do you sell the Liquivision? $1400 plus $150 for software?

Hahaha, no, but I do own one and love it :) I've yet to see a computer that can come close to the X1 but I'll hold my hand up and say I've not actually seen or looked into a Predator.

It does seem to be getting a lot of good reviews and recommendations though, obviously already own an X1 so don't expect to be swapping any time soon but would be interested to know a bit more about the Predator.

Obvious issues that would stand out are some of the issues the Predator shares with the VR3 - the risk of leaking into the battery housing at depth and the fact it's the size of a small desktop PC - is it a heavy unit or quite light? Most of us living here in the Philippines are warm water wusses these days so chunky computers stick out a bit more on a 3 or 5mm suit.

The display looks good though, the colour seems useful and for the price seems a good deal. I guess it comes with the Shearwater software pre-installed - can it be used with V-Planner or similar to use the same software for the pre-dive planning and computer?

Just curious - If I suddenly come across a new stream of cash it's always nice to have two different computers running on any major dives. I'm not a big fan of the VR3 so the Predator sounds like a good option.

Coming back to the original post I don't work for the shop selling the Quantum either - I used this computer right through my early tech days too so think it's a good choice - the fact it's on clearance sale here in Manila is just a bonus :)

Personally I dive a Predator. Before that I dove Vr3's for years. Vr makes the NHeO which Dive Gear Express has for about $700. You could also probably get a used Vr3, or an older Shearwater (Pursuit not Predator) for around the same price.

Gary

It would be my guess that the majority of people who are doing technical diving are cutting tables and using a simple bottom timer, which can be had for around $300. (Uwatec makes the most prevalent one.)

When you get into computers that are running the software that people are using to plan technical dives, you get into extremely high prices. And honestly, given that a great deal of technical diving is on wrecks, where the profile is known beforehand and is relatively square, spending that much money on a device to compute profiles is probably unnecessary.

If you are doing terrain-based decompression diving, as they do in Monterey, or some cave diving which gets you into deco, where the profile can be bizarre, depending on where the cave goes, a computer might be quite useful. I have an X1 and have no complaints about it. I love the display, and I love the fact that the gauge runs a full version of exactly the same decompression software I have on my laptop -- I can simulate a dive ahead of time, and the gauge is running the same algorithm I used to do that. (Of course, I do my dive planning and execution with another system altogether, but it's close enough to VPM+3 to be useful.)

But if you are just getting into technical diving, and trying to figure out where you can economize, not buying a fancy computer is one of the places.

The Suunto Helo2 without the AI transmitter runs a little under $800. It is a decent computer & easy to use. The biggest downside (to some) is that even set to its most aggressive setting, it is still quite conservative than other trimix computers. It does Trimix & a total of 8 gases & depth rating of 393 ft. I dive the Helo2 & have no complaints. I am soon getting a Shearwater Predator to run as a primary & use the Helo2 as a back- up.

I cut tables and carry them with me. But why would you ignore a state of the art piece of equipment in the water? The tables are my backup to the computer. The computer is calculating real time, actual depth of the dive at 15 second intervals. No squares, just real data. If it fails I drop back to the bottom timer and tables.

The predator is a little heavy. However, that being said here is why I chose the Predator after diving with the competition:

1. Three color display (green-OK, yellow-something may not be right, red-it's not right)
2. Easy to switch gasses during the dive
3. Five gas
4. Fully unlocked for OC trimix at base price
5. User replaceable battery
6. Blue tooth download to desktop
7. Blue tooth update of firmware
8. Awesome customer service
9. Price

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom