epic @ lobos 8-27

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jon m

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So. Let me start out by saying I did not bring my camera on this trip…
A couple of friends want to go-a-diving, so I says “why not”.
It is my “new buddies’” (new buddies’, old friends) 2cd dive after certification.( The 1st was also with me, at Lake Tahoe a couple of weeks ago.) The other “buddy” was certified a few years back, but hasn’t done much diving since, no Monterey experience. Now you know why I left the camera at home, I figured I would have my hands full.
After the (crazy old) gentleman at Travelodge told us how BAD the diving at Lobos had been the day before, we were unsure of where to go, although Breakwater is always there… after waiting for the dive shop at breakwater ( next to backscatter photo) to open at 9am , and getting a report of 25+’ vis, we high-tailed it to Lobos…
Now, these are great guys, but they do tend to bog down, so I’m not sure what time we actually entered the water. Swam out, in flat conditions, to the sand channel. As we rest and get ready to drop in, I look down. Hmmmm, I can see the bottom.
“Wow, we have to be 20’-30’, and I can see the bottom!” I think.
We drop down into 49’!!! All I can say is EPIC!
At one point we were near the Cannery point wall, and I spotted a Sheepshead (I think?)
ACROSS the channel on Middle Reef!!!
I had to clear my mask so many times, due to laughing… when we surfaced, I said
“you guys have no idea how good that was, do you???”
One of my buddies found a small rock with several (5-7) shrimp on/around it. (Maybe they were spawning?) and told me later “ I just thought that was normal”.
The second dive had a little more particulate in the water, but was still very good.
What a great day.
I made sure to let them know, spoiled as they are-
“that dive set the bar, prepare to spend some time diving trying to find THAT again…”

I hope some of ya’ll got out to see it! Awesome!!!!

Last edited:
Great news Jon...thanks for the report!

Great report!

Glad to hear that it was epic.

And if you brought your camera, it wouldn't have been :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom