Epoque DML-2 Macro lens?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Larry C

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Anybody try this lens? It's only $110, has 2.1 magnification and comes in all the popular Oly thread sizes, including 46 and 67. It threads straight into the housing without a bayonet adaptor. That may be a disadvantage compared to the quick twist on and off of an Inon. How do they compare in lens quality? Any answers out there?

Larry C:
Anybody try this lens? It's only $110, has 2.1 magnification and comes in all the popular Oly thread sizes, including 46 and 67. It threads straight into the housing without a bayonet adaptor. That may be a disadvantage compared to the quick twist on and off of an Inon. How do they compare in lens quality? Any answers out there?

The Epoque is much more powerful than the Inon, but since it's more powerful, it's depth of field is very small and can be difficult to use.

Wow! Huge difference. I imagine stacking Inons would give similar results. With that kind of magnification, I would think you could do super macros on macro focus and wouldn't have the problem of blocking your light with the lens. Having not used a macro lens, I could be full of it. Am I?

Larry C:
Wow! Huge difference. I imagine stacking Inons would give similar results. With that kind of magnification, I would think you could do super macros on macro focus and wouldn't have the problem of blocking your light with the lens. Having not used a macro lens, I could be full of it. Am I?

I shoot video, so I can't really answer your questions on macro focus. The Epoque is really powerfull and difficult to use for video. Photography would probably be a little easier.

Here is a video I made from my trip in Curacao. Right click and "save target as" to download. The blue pederson shrimp was tiny.

Curacao Video

Thanks. I can see where depth would be an issue with that much magnification. You get a real clear target, but everything else is a bit of a blur. If you're a little off on focus it could get ugly. Nice video. Thanks again.

Its a great lens. Takes a bit of getting used to but when everything comes together the results look great. Same as anything else with underwater photography, its practice, practice, practice.
Here's a couple of pics from the Red Sea, taken with the Epoque lens.

I have one but wasn't always happy with the results (not always sharp enough), so I ended up buying 2 Inons .
I now use the Epoque as a 3rd lens when triple stacking and it seems to work OK . Maybe it was just me in the first place , but I would still go with the Inon as a first choice .

Any idea how the UN PCU-02 compares to the Inon or Epoque? Some places show it as 2.4x while others show it at 6x.

Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom