Epoxy appliance paint not water-proof? Confused

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AbyssalPlains

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I followed the advice I read here about touching up scratches in Faber steel tank coating, but on the container it says "not for use in water-immersed surfaces". What gives?

Not for surfaces that will be "permanently" submerged. So unless you plan to spend some quality time with Davy Jones, you and more importantly your cylinders will be fine.

The appliance epoxy paint is not real epoxy paint. But I have used it on a back plate, but it takes a long time to harden. My back plate took 8 weeks to full harden like your refrigerator paint. A true epoxy paint is a 2 part part; epoxy, and hardener. If you want a paint that can be used for underwater application, you will need to visit a marine shop, and get bottom paint.

Marine bottom paints are thick, dull, and designed to shed off over time. They are not what you want on a plate.... A real epoxy paint would be ideal.....

Back
Top Bottom