Equalization problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beta09

Reaction score
I am new to diving as well as this board. I recently completed my open water certification and wanted some advice on equalizing. I have a hard time with it. I start to try and equalize at a couple feet and can't seem to get my ears to pop. Also for a few days after a dive my ears still feel pressure. Any help would be appreciated.

Begin equalizing as your head breaks the surface on decent. Waiting until you're a few feet below the surface can be to late as the pressure change is the greatest in the first 33 feet. Remember that the pressure doubles from the surface to 33 feet in salt water. IMHO there is nothing wrong with equalizing even before you begin your decent. Your ears will feel plugged while on the surface but as soon as you start to decend and the pressure increases everything will equalize. Stay ahead of it while continuing to decend slowly, once you get behind it's very diffacult to catch back up. If you do get behind and find that you just can't equalize stop your decent, acend a few feet and try it again.

Just as with most things in life, equalizing will get easier the more you do it. Dive, dive, dive and before you know it, it will become second nature and you won't even need to think about it.

Have fun,

Scott

Yours is probably the most frequent question that we get and the answer is most often in using the proper technique. Sometimes, however, there are real problems in the back of the nose that can be corrected. This can only be ascertained by a visit to a dive knowledgeable physician for examination to rule out such things as abnormal bony growths, polyps or nasal septal deviation.

Attached are some varying methods for clearing. If this is not helpful, there are more tips on the web page at http://www.scubadiving.com/training/medicine/stopearpain/#tips

There is also more general information about the ear and diving at our web site at http://scuba-doc.com/entprobs.html

Many people have this problem, and usually with experience you work out the particular steps that work best for you.

Try equalizing horizontally not vertically. Swim at a comfortable depth, and gently and gradually descend. I have found that this works best for the majority of my students. Trying to equalize vertically can sometimes put too much strain on the ears due to the larger pressure differential at the first ATA. Trying to force a valsalva can rupture the round window, and will most probably end your diving endeavours, and none of us want that.

Swimming and descending horizontally will also allow you to follow above the group and still enjoy the dive sites without holding anyone up or increasing any stress or anxiety for you.

Back
Top Bottom