Equalizing and vagus nerve lesion?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divemed06

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello Dive Docs,

Just wondering if anyone knows or has seen reports of pressure related ear injuries causing a vagus nerve lesion leading to bradycardia and death in divers. It has been reported that some traumatic ear injuries (ie. getting hit on the ear) have caused vagus nerve lesions which lead to bradycardia and subsequent death of the patient. Thanks.

I have not heard of such an occurance, nor do I readily see how this could occur.

The cardiac branches of the vagus nerve are quite distinct from the auricular ones. It would seem very unlikely that pressure-related injuries to the ear, either from scuba or simply getting hit on the ear, could result in cranial nerve trauma that led to bradycardia.

I suppose that if one was hit on the ear hard enough to cause certain cardiac limbs of the vagus nerve to be traumatized by movement of the head or neck then slowing of the heart might ensue, but this would have nothing to do with changes in air pressure.

It might be instructive if you could post the original source(s) reporting ear injuries causing vagus nerve lesions that led to bradycardia and death.

Thank you,

DocVikingo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom