Equinox video housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sharkdiver289

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I got a Sony HC32 Minidv camcorder for my birthday is equinox a good housing company for this. If so should I also buy the lcd monitor would that make a difference? Any one who has an equinox or has heard any positive or negatives about them please let me know.

I have an equinox camera housing for my Sanyo VPC-C5

Seems to work quite nicely, I've only used it a couple of times so far, but it's not leaked and seems to be quite nicely put together.

I really like the Equinox line. They are very durable and relatively inexpensive (in the u/w market that is). The company offers great customer service as well. As for the LCD, yes i highly recommend it. It makes shooting easier and allows you to enjoy your dive more without having your eye up to the viewfinder.

I'd like to hear some more users talk about their (recent) experience with the housing. I'm considering purchasing one as well.

I guess I'm gonna be the guy who speaks out loudly against them....

I purchased an Equinox housing for my DVX100a and was all kinds of pissed off with it. It's rediculously heavy, and beyond heavy it's downright cumbersome in the water.

I should disclose my prejudice right away: I'm not a big fan of mechanical controls. Equinox has them, and I didn't like them. For the most part.

Because their dome ports are plexi, I found they reflect the lens of the camera under many lighting conditions.

Worst of all, the level of vignetting is just rage-inducing. Again, completely unacceptable.

I was the underwater cinematographer for a documentary about Community Boating Inc. of Boston this past year, and other than the annoying vignetting I have to say that the camera produced good results in spite of the major drawbacks I listed. But my shots were usually in-water perspective and not usually underwater. I don't know that I would ever reccommend the Equinox line to someone doing pure underwater camera work on a professional level.

Just my two cents...

I'm actually considering one for some pro work using a Canon GL2. How much does the housing for your DVX100 weigh with the camera in it?
For some controls, like iris and white balance which I will need on my camera housing, I don't think they are available to be controlled through the LANC connector which means they need to be mechanical controls so I don't really know if there's a way around that with some cameras.
In which circumstances did you find the dome port reflecting - you mention you didn't use it under water as much as you did in-water - did that correct the reflections?
I read about the vignetting in another thread (I think it was PeaceDog's thread?) with this camera/housing combo and I think that's something that the manufracturer should address - I wouldn't accept that either.
So far, Equinox is the only manufacturer that will make a housing for my future GL2 with manual iris control for a reasonable price. I really like Ikelite, but for some reason, they told me they can't make a manual iris control for the GL2 housing (when every other manufacturer can?) and Gates is awesome, just beyond my budget so I'll probably have to go with Equinox for the reasons described - their customer service has been excellent so far and they've been answering all my questions in great detail. I only wish I could try their housings before buying them.

I have had my Equinox hosuing for my TRV 950 for over ttwo years now, maybe 200 dives and I have only good comments about it.

I like the manual controls, they work well for me.

The housing is a bit larger than some, but handles well underwater. I was glad to be able to remove the weighted wings the one time I had to send the camera up without me. Saved the camera and the housing and I was able to go back down later and get the wings and handles/lights.

I had tried several other housigns before I bought the EQ and I have not been sorry yet.

TJ and his team provide excellent customer service both before and after the sale.

When the new monitor back was scheduled to be delivered and the monitor did not meet his standrads, TJ delayed the launch until all of the issue we fixed to his satisfaction. That sure is rare these days.

Just my 2 psi worth.

Mike...

Mike:

i use the Light & Motion Stingray II for my TRV950, so imagine the shock i had carrying an Equinox housing around in the water.

I've got no complaints about the staff of Equinox - you're right, TJ and the folks at the office are good poeple and incredibly accomodating.

I did like the 2" LCD monitor...it made the difference for me in terms of framing, especially with how inherently cumbersome the housings are.

With regard to my particular camera, I got an equinox housing simply because they were pretty much the only folks making custom housings for the DVX series.

When it comes down to it, though, the vignetting was just absolutely unacceptable, and although I didn't start the thread (or even post in it), I noticed the same lens reflection at times in some of my shots.

If you can get good material from your Equinox housing and you don't mind the handle of it, rock the frick on. They're among the sturdiest, most affordable housings on the market. They just didn't work for my purposes.

Back
Top Bottom