Equipment advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kyleterry

Contributor
Reaction score
I am new to scuba (about 3 years with about 40 dives). I am looking at buying my 1st set of gear and would appreciate any advice/recommendations.

What I am looking at is the following...

Genesis Phantom BCD
Dacor Eagle Sport Reg
Dacor Eagle alt air
Genesis react w/ compass

I mostly just dive in the Carribian, 2-4 trips a year. Moslty easy recreational dives, although I have done some cave diving.

Naturally I do not want to pay for more than I need, but quality and safety are far more important than budget. I am happy to pay more if the value is there for my purposes.

I appreciate all your comments and imput.

kyleterry once bubbled...
I am new to scuba (about 3 years with about 40 dives). I am looking at buying my 1st set of gear and would appreciate any advice/recommendations.

Genesis Phantom BCD
Dacor Eagle Sport Reg
Dacor Eagle alt air
Genesis react w/ compass

I mostly just dive in the Carribian, 2-4 trips a year. Moslty easy recreational dives, although I have done some cave diving.

Naturally I do not want to pay for more than I need, but quality and safety are far more important than budget. I am happy to pay more if the value is there for my purposes.

Well 1st, as I haven't seen you on the board... Welcome.
Next:
I would stay clear of the Dacor stuff. While some of there products aren't bad, having Dacor regs serviced is getting a bit tougher by the moment. I would rather see you diving a Sherwood/Genesis regs than Dacor (Let the flaming begin) :flame:

Next:
I can't say anything about cave diving w/o the proper training, but other folks here can... and will. However I am well on my way for Intro.

What I'm saying is that for the $ you can get a much better reg than what Dacor offers.

JMHO

Ok, I'll be the first to say it:

Have you cosidered a Backplate and Harness?

Do a search for "BP" or "backplate" for more info.

I have to agree with EZ when it comes to the BP/Wing. I'm sure you will here it from most people on this board.

I am more concerned with your reference to cave diving. I'm assuming from your # of dives listed (40) that you don't have a cavern certification let alone cave. Please do not attempt cave diving w/o proper training. The one time something goes wrong, like a silt out, and someone could be recovering your body.

As far as the regs go, I would go either with Apeks or Scubapro. Do a search on both and you will find a world of info. Hope that helps.

Thomas

drizzt117 once bubbled...
I have to agree with EZ when it comes to the BP/Wing. I'm sure you will here it from most people on this board.

I am more concerned with your reference to cave diving. I'm assuming from your # of dives listed (40) that you don't have a cavern certification let alone cave. Please do not attempt cave diving w/o proper training. The one time something goes wrong, like a silt out, and someone could be recovering your body.

As far as the regs go, I would go either with Apeks or Scubapro. Do a search on both and you will find a world of info. Hope that helps.

Thomas

Thanks Thomas.....

I'm not really one to skold about the caving... I did it for far too long before certs., that's why I'm going the CDS route.

kyleterry once bubbled...

Genesis Phantom BCD
Dacor Eagle Sport Reg
Dacor Eagle alt air
Genesis react w/ compass

Dacor are ok although I think for about the same price the Aqualung Titan series are worth a serious look. The first stages are comparable but I think Aqualung make especially good regs (Yes, I'm a bit biased. I've been using Aqualung regs since I started diving. My oldest one is an Auqualung Aquarius from 1974 which still works as well today as it did when it was new). Someone mentioned Sherwood already. Sherwood are indestructable but my experience is that the breathe too wet for my liking. I use a Sherwood as an Octopus and an Aqualung Legend LX Supreme as a primary.

Genesis is ok but impossible to service outside N. Armerica. I like the Genesis computers but if you are planning on going further afield at some point you should consider an Oceanic for the same price ans quality instead.

As for the BCD, if you're planning on getting serious about cave diving at some point you're making (in my opinion) the wrong choice. Visit your Halcyon and Diverite dealers for some better ideas.

Cheers,
R..

What cave have you dived?

Forget the Dacor reg. Get a Scubapro MK25/S550 or S600. Skip the giant console and go with a SPG and a wrist mount computer, or a small hosemount AI unit like a Cobra. A compass is next to useless in the Caribe and there is no reason to have one stuck permanently on a console.

BC is harder to choose. Around here nobody likes jackets. Unless you are a photographer, go with back bouyancy. My favorite pick is the Transpac 2 with a travel wing. Other choices:
Seaquest Balance
Zeagle Scout or Escape

Backplates are poor choice for warm water recreational divers with a single 80. The straps on a BP are made from stiff weightbelt webbing and they chafe around the armpits when wearing no or light exposure protection. Backplates are hard to adjust and do not work right without a crotch strap. A single tank is mounted a couple of inches away from the back and results in a tippy feeling when the tank is full and increases the pushing forward on the surface when empty.

The BP guys are like missionaries. They are impossible to reason with and will recommend their BP to everyone regardless of application. Some will dismiss the problems without explanation and others simply admit to the discomfort and then say it is worth it.

Get some training before doing any cave diving. I wouldn't even admit I have done any, as you sure are to receive some hearty flaming.

Second, stay away from Dacor equipment, it is Mares' stepchild and has no place for the type of diving you desire.

Just my .02

ID

I suspect the reason you are thinking of getting a dacor reg is that the LDS you deal with sells them . do they sell anything else ? I looked on leisure pro's website the dacor sport reg is $159 some of the apeks and aqualung start at around 200 I didnt want this to turn into a LP thread I just wanted to compare the regs . I would suggest a different reg . which one depends on a lot of things . but if money is a factor there are other options that are better.
joens

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom