Equipment for my son (Padi Seal Team Soon 2 Be Member!)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MDJ1016

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello everyone:

Another question from a newbie here-

I was informed about PADI’s Seal Team this weekend, and signed my son up for lessons. (As it is called.) The question is equipment for him. By chance LP sent an email flyer Friday with gear for younger children. At the minimum I want to get him mask/snorkel, fins and neoprene boots. I found a combination of Deep See (pls excuse spelling) for MFS. Is this brand a decent “scuba” quality or is it something equal or close to what you buy for $30 from a local big box store?

I have ScubaPro items personally, but with his age and growth, if existent I can’t see spending that kind of money for a season or less usage. (His little brother can’t dive ever due to being deaf so sharing it won’t work…) So, can anyone point me in the correct direction? I want him to have nice quality items to use, but also looking at to a degree at most a season of usage.

Thanks in advance for the help.

(I told him once he gets certified @ ten I would purchase him middle to high end complete set-up to keep him going. So in 2 years I’ll be posting comments for that….)

I have had several deep sea masks. Their quality has been fine. Of course fit is the most important thing with a mask but I'm sure you know that already. IIRC They're part of the Aqualung family of brands.

BTW unless you other son's lack of hearing would soemehow prevent him from equalizing I don't see how that would even be a handicap when diving much less make it impossible for him to dive. For practical purposes we're all deaf underwater.

BTW unless you other son's lack of hearing would soemehow prevent him from equalizing I don't see how that would even be a handicap when diving much less make it impossible for him to dive. For practical purposes we're all deaf underwater.

+1 on that. The deaf divers I know are actually BETTER at communicating underwater than those of us who CAN hear.

Hello everyone:

Another question from a newbie here-

I was informed about PADI’s Seal Team this weekend, and signed my son up for lessons. (As it is called.) The question is equipment for him. By chance LP sent an email flyer Friday with gear for younger children. At the minimum I want to get him mask/snorkel, fins and neoprene boots. I found a combination of Deep See (pls excuse spelling) for MFS. Is this brand a decent “scuba” quality or is it something equal or close to what you buy for $30 from a local big box store?

I have ScubaPro items personally, but with his age and growth, if existent I can’t see spending that kind of money for a season or less usage. (His little brother can’t dive ever due to being deaf so sharing it won’t work&#8230:wink: So, can anyone point me in the correct direction? I want him to have nice quality items to use, but also looking at to a degree at most a season of usage.

Thanks in advance for the help.

(I told him once he gets certified @ ten I would purchase him middle to high end complete set-up to keep him going. So in 2 years I’ll be posting comments for that….)

At the risk of stirring the pot...

Any particular reason why you're not considering getting the gear properly fitted and purchased from the shop where you son will be training?

Thanks for the reply, good to know the brand I found (haven’t bought yet) is a decent one. My exposure to new gear has been scoped to a few brands. I am waiting for the rep from LP to get back with me on availability; once he does I think I place the order

As to my son not diving because he is deaf, it struck me as odd also. When he gets of age, and assuming he shows the same interest in scuba as my oldest does I plan to take him to the dive training shop and get him enrolled. His hearing has been corrected electronically so in class there should be an issue. Time will tell.

Cost is the biggest factor. I understand the basic concept of having the store help you and then make a profit on it. However on most items the difference is so great, it hurts. I have a great explanation here-

I am in the 'research' process of buying a new reg set-up. (I have narrowed it down to the MK17 and MK25 with with GV250). To close the point, I can ge the MK17 set from LP for about $350 with shipping. My LDS is $600 plus tax. Sure the warranty is through LP however I could buy another new one and have it shipped overnight for the most part if the primary failed. I don't mind buying from the LDS but when they are charging 2x the price how can that be justified. I have ordered a fair share from LP and had great luck.

Don't get me wrong, I do support my three "Local" shops. (They are all with-in an hour of me.) In the last month I poured about $1,000 into the local economy here :)

As long as he does not have holes that would allow water into the ear a cochlear implant (I'm guessing that's what you mean) would not disqualify him outright. You would need to check with your son's Dr to be sure. My sister inlaw has implants on both sides. Does not dive but swims and showers with them and needs no special precautions as far as I know. And yes Deep Sea is a brand that would be suitable. Not top of the line but for a young one who will likley outgrow it in a short time, as long as everything fits , will work fine.

Everything minus the unit that goes on the "outside" is ok to get wet. (Well he gets baths and hair washes now, and we are good!) When the time comes I will certainly check with the DOC, and then on the way back from the appt. stop and sign him up :)

On a non Scuba basis- how has your sister in law toelrated the implant? My son has done fine, but I have also ready stories (again stories I stress) that some people can't stand the device. Not sure how someone couldn't "stand it" to hear.....???

How excited is your son about taking the class? If he's not absolutely thrilled I'd suggest just renting gear for now. If it turns out that he doesn't like it or can't do it then it could be a waste of money and he may feel bad about you spending the money on something that he doesn't enjoy.

Yes & No

Correct that deafness alone is not a contraindication for diving and deaf divers are certainly more in touch with communication by hand signals than their hearing counterparts... but

Deafness is a major concern and deaf divers should not dive alone and should consider their limitations in seeking be solo certification.

Deaf divers for instance could not hear a recall order from the boat and they most likely could not hear (or sense) a boat on the surface, making surfacing alone quite dangerous. Deaf divers also require direct line of site for communication - so their buddy must understand this. Audible alerts - should their buddy be in trouble would go unheard.

So lets not just make it sound simple - because it is not...

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom