Equipment for Solo Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only 'solo skill' needed under such conditions is the ability to perform an unassisted ascent - because separation and failure to re-acquire your buddy would mean the dive was aborted.

DD ^ this is what I was getting at as far as breaking contact and 'de facto' self-reliant/solo. I suppose I can see how one can interpret my post as 'wing it and go solo when in no viz(extreme low viz)'. That certainly is not what I meant.

I understand what you meant... I just disagree in principle.

Bad viz...no viz... is no reason or excuse to abandon teamwork. Come on a wreck dive with me...and you'll see what I mean. If buddy contact is a priority...and effective procedures, planning and control are used... then there is simply no excuse. If I ever​ lose a buddy, I count it as a major failure for myself. No excuses...

Under hypothetical situations, an unassisted ascent, would be the only skill needed. However, a solo diver mentality accounts for hypothetical problems also... especially the likelihood of problems accumulating or occurring in series. Ascent alone in zero viz? Disorientation... issues with current... need to deploy a DSMB alone... etc etc etc

I see a lot more 'solo skills' applicable to any given scenario, that's all...

The best diving skill is the ability to access the situation before you actually get into the water. If the conditions are beyond your skill set it is more prudent to find a different dive site.

Back
Top Bottom