Equipment... I'm so lost

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yes we have both done 3 dives in the pool already.... with 2 more to go ... then we do our our diving test the week after.

I'm still not sure what to buy first. I think my boyfriend will buy bc and reg first. I get cold really easily.... so I'm thinking I might get my wetsuit first. Still not 100% sure.... so the owner is letting us try different bc's... this week and next. The only thing we might buy before the test is the regs... definently going to wait on the bc's... to make sure we get one that's right for us.

For me, having the BC first was probably a good way to go as far as equipment is concerned. It's best to familiarize yourself with the inflator hose, rear dump valve position(s) pockets, bouyancy controllability, pockets, d-rings, straps, snaps, weight pockets if weight integrated...you get the picture. If you rent one every time you dive, I can imagine it's hard for a beginning diver to get comfortable underwater with a different BC every dive. Not to downplay the reg set, but the reg set is pretty universal from most renters. First stage, second stage, spg, inflator hose...and they are usually set up the same from set to set.

So me, getting used to the BC was the best option so I can use it with my eyes closed or under very poor visibility conditions.

I've only got about 35 dives under my belt so obviously I'm no expert, but msg me and I'll give you the beginner's equipment experiences since they are still pretty vivid in my mind.

BTW I dive a Zeagle Stilleto which is very durable, compact, lightweight and simple. It may be a little more than you want to spend off the bat @ around 5 bills, but it's not cluttered like many BC's I demo'd. Also, dual tank straps is great.

Longstocking:

I think the first thing each of you should buy is your reg/octo/spg setup. I consider it the most personal and life-supporting scuba related article you will buy. But there's def no need to spend huge amounts of money on your setup. If all you're going to do in the future is recreational diving, then there are lots of good but reasonably priced setups to go with.

When I first went through training I bought a reg/octo/spg off the Internet because it was pretty cheap and I figured it was more or less all the same. I dove with it without any problems, however, theres only 1 shop in my area that services that brand (which shall rename nameless) and they actually broke it when I brought it in for annual service and took 3 weeks to fix (for free). I was perfectly happy with the quality of the regs because it seemed about as good as any of the rental setups I had used.

Then I found a new LDS a few months ago who I like a lot and they are a mostly Oceanic shop and I decided to buy a new rig from them since they were singing the praises of Oceanic so much. I bought the Oceanic Alpha 8 DVT for primary with PX-3 1st stage, kept my Dacor Eagle octo, and got a new Genesis SPG. The build quality was def better than my no-name reg and the new one breathed a hundred times easier which really surprised me.

I would imagine you could find something good that will last you for a long time should run about $550. If you really like the dive shop than consider buying something that they are an authorized seller/repair shop for as it will make it easier for you when annual servicing time comes around.

There's no reason not to just rent wetsuits/bc/etc until you find one that works best for you then buy that model (new of course).

Longstocking:
Our budget is around 2k...could be a little more could be a little less but that's the ball park figure.

My boyfriend would like to get into cave and wreck diving.... cave diving interstest me as well.... but I'm more interested in fish... night diving, photography etc.
Well, $2k is not going to get you two full sets of equipment so I say the following would be good priorities:

Dive Computers: You can dive some much better profiles on computers than on tables. For example, a couple of days ago I did a dive of 51 mins with a max. depth of 25m - try working the tables on that one! Computers are also easy to carry when you go on holiday and something you rarely get when using rental gear so its good to have your own. Personally, I like the Mares M1s which you can probably pick up a couple of for around $200 each.

Wetsuits (or drysuits): Ok, drysuits aren't really within your budget but a well fitting wetsuit can make a lot of difference. If all your diving will be in water temperatures where you can use the same suit this is probably a good bet.

Regulators: Hmm, expensive - if you're going to be renting stuff anyway you might as well rent these.

BCD/BP+Wing: Might be a good third choice after the computer and wetsuit - your own BCD will probably be a better model than the basic ones you get rental and they're reasonably easy to travel with. I wouldn't go too mad on a high end BCD though is case you decide to switch to BP+Wing (especially with cave diving ambitions).

By the way, I'm sorry to mention that you need to stick an extra 0 on your budget just to get you through the door on cave diving.

i say do your home work find gear you like and dont be sold by a quick talkin sales person. buy only gear that will work for your diving style.there are better makers than others look at serviceablity at long run.not just next year but ten years down the road:D

mobster75:
I would imagine you could find something good that will last you for a long time should run about $550. If you really like the dive shop than consider buying something that they are an authorized seller/repair shop for as it will make it easier for you when annual servicing time comes around.
Just as a quick follow-up, you might consider an Apeks DS4 + ATX50 regulator. You should be able to get a DS4 + 2 x ATX50 + SPG for less than $500 and if you get into tech/cave style diving you then already have one of the favoured regs for this type of activity - you just need to buy one extra DS4 plus some new hoses and you have yourself a nice tech. setup.

If your bf thinks he has cave/wreck in his future then you really want to skip the console.

I'd recommend a Suunto SK7 wrist compass. I'd also recommend a Suunto Vyper wrist mount computer. You don't need to go air-integrated, you want batteries you can change out, you want nitrox mode as well as gauge mode, backlight and a readable display. There's competing products from other manufacturers that are fine as well, but the Vyper is the one that I'm familiar with.

For regs, if you go Apeks, I'd recommend DS4 or DST first stages and ATX50 or TX50 second stages, but it sounds like your LDS doesn't carry those (and its fairly important to have an LDS that service the regs that you buy -- I'd probably go Atomics if I had to pick from your choices, based on reputation).

I'd recommend getting regs first. They're life support equipment and rental regulators are often awful and can actually precipitate dive accidents (it may not be that they break, but they breathe awful and than can lead to overbreathing the reg and CO2 buildup). I'd suggest looking into getting a decent back-inflate BC like a Zeagle or a BP/W next since that's probably the next piece of gear most likely to harm you if it breaks. If you can breathe and float, then you've got the biggies under control.

If you can find an LDS or a shop which will get you started right away with a BP/W and a long hose regulator configuration that would be the best way to go if your bf is really interested in wrecks and cave diving. A lot of shops will only sell you stuff like that if you're already an experienced diver, but there's really no reason not to start off with "tech" gear if you know your interests will head in that direction anyway (I immediately went to BP/W and long hose after OW, its quite do-able).

lamont:
I'd recommend getting regs first. They're life support equipment and rental regulators are often awful and can actually precipitate dive accidents (it may not be that they break, but they breathe awful and than can lead to overbreathing the reg and CO2 buildup).
I dunno - a well maintained regulator is less likely to fail than a commercial aircraft - especially fail in a way other than free flow.

I guess a poor dive operation might not maintain their regs properly but then again a poor dive operation has far easier ways to get you killed than reg failure. The trick there is to look on places like SB to check out dive operations before you travel.

I really like the Zeagle Envoy for a starter reg. It's only about $250 and an easy breather even at 130 feet. I dived it for about a year and recently bought an Apeks ATX200. I moved my Envoy 2nd stage over to the Apeks and it now functions as my bungeed octo. I use the Envoy 1st stage on my deco bottle with the Apeks octo that was free with my new reg. I would suggest PMing Rapidiver for deals on regs.

I wish I had initally bought a BP/W, but instead I first bought a jacket, then a back inflate and finally a BP/W. The modular system of the BP/W is superior in every way and it is required for technical diving. It is so easy to change out wings and remove the STA for doubles. I use a continuous harness with the exception of a sternum strap.

I understand that initial equipment choices seem daunting at this point and wish you the best of luck in your purchases.

BarryNL:
I dunno - a well maintained regulator is less likely to fail than a commercial aircraft - especially fail in a way other than free flow.

yeah, but a crappy low-shelf rental reg is likely to breathe badly, not matter how well maintained, or how unlikely it is to outright fail. mix that up with a dive swimming into currents trying to get back to the upline, CO2 buildup and inexperienced divers and you can wind up with a near miss or an accident.

I guess a poor dive operation might not maintain their regs properly but then again a poor dive operation has far easier ways to get you killed than reg failure. The trick there is to look on places like SB to check out dive operations before you travel.

i don't think i'd trust any diveop with supplying me with regulators, personally, no matter how well recommended.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom