Equipment on Airplane?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TessDarling

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Does anyone know if you can bring scuba regulators and computers as a carry-on on an airplane??

I am going on a trip to the Dominican Republic and want my own (renting everything else). I have a feeling whether I check it or not, the security will think it's some sort of explosive...

Any advice? :D

Does anyone know if you can bring scuba regulators and computers as a carry-on on an airplane??

I am going on a trip to the Dominican Republic and want my own (renting everything else). I have a feeling whether I check it or not, the security will think it's some sort of explosive...

Any advice? :D

No problem at all. Carry my stuff on all the time.

You can carry anything except for a tank with the valve attached.

If it will fit in your carry-on and do not mind getting checked more than once going thru security then you are good to go.

Oh ya, no knives

Last edited:
I use my Eddie Bauer Adventurer backpack. It fits:
- Regulator Bag (computer, regulator, primary light & Dive Alert)
- Primary mask
- Canon camera & housing
- Books, magazines, etc
- Snacks
- Cell phone & XM Helix
- Lightweight fleece
- With room to spare

I use this bag everyday to get my things to work. It's better to get a multipurposed bag than a specialized bag that will get infrequent use.

I use the backpack as my personal carry-on back, and a 22" pullman to carry my clothes. Then I check one modest sized duffel to move my BCD, fins, et cetera. My $.02.

The "Dive Caddy" doesn't make any sense.

Just out of curiosity what did you mean that it doesn't make sense. I haven't seen one on person, but the concept seems solid enough to me. You put your gear in flat, roll it up, and you get the combined benefits of stability compressed space. What is your take (beyond it not making sense that is)?

Just be sure to tell the TSA that it's a scuba regulator when it goes through the x-ray machine; they see dials an batteries and get overly excited. On my way to Coz with a LDS group, I was the first one through the line and they pulled me out for further inspection. I told the guy who checked my bag that there were about 20 people in my group and most of them had their regs as carry ons, so he was going to be busy that morning. After he checked my bag, he told the x-ray checker what it was and nobody else from my group got pulled out of line.

On my way back through Atlanta, the same thing almost happened again, but I told the lady it was a scuba regulator. She asked me where I was coming from and when I told her Cozumel she said "Mexico, how nice" and let me through with a smile.:crafty:

Back
Top Bottom