Equipment on Airplane?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just curious. WHY would anyone carry lead weights on a dive trip? Dont trust the lead in faraway lands? That maybe the lamest thing I've ever heard.

When the hubby and me went to Bonaire, we packed our BCs, regs, flashlights, masks, & snorkles into 2 carry-on rolly suitcases. Seems to have been a popular idea, since the flight was packed with the same types of bags in the overhead compartments. It was partially for weight concerns, but mostly cuz we didn't want to check in 3k worth of gear and trust the luggage carriers.

When we went through security, we were initally confused as to why the xray person waved a few other TSA people over, and our bags got ran through the scanner a few times... until it occured to us what all that scuba gear must look like, and then once we told them it was scuba gear, they were fine with it.

I've brought my computer (Pro Plus 2) and regulator with me as carry-on several times. The only I had to open up my carry-on was when I had a couple of lead weights with it. Apparently, the lead blocks looked like something that could go boom. My wife was surprised when they wanted to look at her carry-on. I forgot to tell her I put some weights in her carry-on as well.

Ron

You brought weights? Where did you stow your tanks? :shakehead:

We carry our regs and computers including a full face mask all the time. Never been questioned about any of it.

In my reg bag, I can pack my reg set with 2 second stages, a big AI computer, and an SPG, plus my backup wrist computer, backup light, and all my rechargeable batteries. That whole bag goes inside my carry-on. It gets inspected often in security, probably because of 16 AA and C batteries, but never had a problem once they see what's in it. Then also my primary mask in my carry-on.

Last edited:
I always carry my mask regulator and computer on. If I have room left which I usually do I try to pack an extra change of clothes with them since there is a good possibility of bags getting lost.

I have flown many airlines and continental seems to have a 100 percent guarantee of messing up the baggage or flight every time :-( So carry on as much of your pricey items as you can.

As far as what you cant carry on is a simple list. Tanks with valves attached and dive knifes. Honestly with the cost of transporting tanks and weight restrictions and all the other non sense I would not tank my tanks regardless as in most cases its a lot cheaper to just rent one at the destination!

1) That bag when full is way too big to fit in the overhead. Example, I fly Delta all the time. Their carry-on allowance is approximately 22" x 14" x 9". My pullman is about that size and i've got to squeeze it in if I put anything in the outside pocket. Even if you make it on the plane, if' you're not in zones 1 or 2 there won't be any overhead space left and you may end up having to plane-side valet.
2) Rube Goldberg. That bag is overly complicated. Too many buckles, compression straps, et cetera.
3) Price. For $240 I'd rather buy multiple bags that will serve more than this one singular purpose.
Hi MK706,

Thank you for weighing in on the DiveCaddy TravelBag System. Everytime we pack a DiveCaddy we still find it hard to believe we can fit all of our gear into the bag and still get it into an overhead bin on a commercial airliner. (See attachment) NOTE: If you unattach the TurtleBag (the top bag) you can turn the bag 90 degrees in the overhead compartment.

Feel free to view our actual airport videos on our website: divecaddy.net/index-7.html

The DiveCaddy Staff has 80+ combined trips using the bag system. We have never been denied boarding and only stopped for TSA inspection a handful of times. A key point to consider is that when your first stage and regs are being viewed through the X-Ray with other obvious dive gear, it puts the shapes in context for the tech. Mask, fins, boots, etc., help the tech identify your gear as dive gear. (See attachments)

Please feel free to post, email or call our offices anytime; we're here to help you protect your gear and save money.

Chad
DiveCaddy

Attachments

• DSC_3617.jpg
    DSC_3617.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 54
  • DSC03130.jpg
    DSC03130.jpg
    384.5 KB · Views: 62
Regs, Computers, camera and housing always go as carryon for me. Airlines never hassle me. I've been lucky there.

But a cruise? Different story. They called me during first night's dinner to tell me that my dive bag was back on land. My backplate and weighted STA scared them and they forgot to call me outside to open it for them. So I ended up renting evrything next morning at my first port of call...

I must me losing my mind...WEIGHTS???TANKS??? why would you carry any of this on an airplane? It's bad enough trying to carry on cameras and regs!! PLEASE help these people.!

On a "lighter" note- one time the agent picked up my wrist mount computer, asked me what it was- I said "a dive computer". He asked me to turn it on, which I did. He got really nervous as the comp did its self diagnostic countdown...9..8...etc. :)

OMG that is soooo funny!!!

I will definitely warn the security person that I have scuba gear. Thank you everyone for your advice!

Back
Top Bottom