equipment question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubanurse

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Now that I am finally certified. i am looking at equipment. I have found really good prices on TUSA bcd's does anyone have experience with this brand I will pobably buy this piece of equipment on the net and will buy my regs at local dive shop because of later servicing etc. Do bcds require much servicing? I haven't found much info about this. The problem I am running into with bcds is that local dive shops only carry a couple of brands which make it impossible to try on anything else. I find it all very confusing

I don't have any recent experience with them but in the past I never recommended that brand except for masks.

Tom

Scubanurse,
Welcome to the world of diving!! Buying a BC...or any dive gear for that matter...can be frustrating. You...the buyer...will find it is a very controlled environment. If the store carries Brand A, they will not be allowed to carry Brands B and C and so on. It causes the buying public to have to drive around to many stores and see what they have. My BIGGEST piece of advice....buy your BC (and all life support gear) from a local store. And, be sure you register all your equipment. Things your life doesn't depend on can be bought on the net. (I can hear the yelling and screaming already!!!)
As for BC's, there are basically two types. Those that are vestlike and the bladder envelopes you.....and .... those that the bladder is all in the back. Both have advantages and disadvantages. The former (vest) is often accused of having more "squeeze" than the latter. The latter (back) is often accused of throwing a diver on their face while on the surface. The best thing to do is find a store that has a pool and will let you try each kind out...with a tank...and see what you like most. I would recommend a weight integrated system...that uses no lacing. Either velcrow or the new clip system. BC's will normally require a yearly servicing to keep the warrantee.
Good luck and send me an email if you have any other questions. I will be glad to share what I have learned on equipment buying with you. (rdr5k@yahoo.com)... good luck!!!

scubanurse....I have a Dacor Nautica WD bc(medium), also a Contempro acclaim (non weight integrated)(large) & my nephew has a Dacor Nautica WD (x-large) and a Mares (I think) large bc. I can let you try any of these out if you wish. I'm in your area, and dive Jocassee quite often..in fact we're diving Jocassee or Keowee this Friday and then probably Sat. or Sun. just let me know if the sizes will fit you or your husband..
Bobb

What WreckWriter said, great masks, stay away from everything else TUSA makes.

Roak

jonnythan once bubbled...

Why is this?
I know! I know!
It's not a BP/Wing, and it's not Halcyon..
Right?
Rick

I just never liked the looks quality-wise of their BCs and regulators.

Back in the 80s I remember their showerhead regulators falling apart on some customers that frequented the shop that I DMed for.

Roak

Ps. I was DMing a good 10-15 years before I ever even heard the word "backplate" or "Halcyon."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom