Equipment reviews

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mndolphin

Reaction score
Does anyone know where to find good equipment reviews?
I am buying my first set of gear and will be trying it on in the
water before buying. I really like reading different reviews, or if anyone has oppinions out there on things you wish you had looked for, or things you liked/ didn't like?
would love to hear from you!
Lisa

For Rodale's scuba diving, you want this URL:

http://www.scubadiving.com/

While not comprehensive (they don't include all brands or models), this is a good place to start.

If you are interested in regs, the next print edition of RSD (October -- I just received September) will include a "biggest regulator evaluation of all time...". They supposedly will be testing 69 regs in all price ranges, with both machine breathing scores and in water testing.

mndolphin once bubbled...

Any personal advice???
You can't go wrong with Apeks, especially if you're going to dive a lot here in MN, they're very good coldwater regs. :)

MN, I bought a Scubapro Mk25/S600 and love it. I've had it down over 80' and it breathes as nicely at depth as it does at the surface.

I tried a few others. Some of the "high performance" regs will tend to "shove" air down your throat, which feels weird and I don't like one bit. Others have a definitely resistance to inhalation, which I don't like either.

I've also used mine for working on my boat (underneath it), and had to exert myself reasonably heavily while doing so. No issues with overbreathing the reg either, which is very bad and can lead to panic (and all kinds of bad things).

One thing to be aware of is that your octo (or "safe second") will always be detuned to some degree, otherwise it would freeflow like crazy if you were to take it out of your mouth with the mouthpiece facing up. High performance regs are unsuitable for secondary duty unless detuned for this reason.

Rodale's is a great site for recommendations, but the best is to find people who have gear and try using it (or renting from different places with different brands and models) if you can.

Rodales isn't bad - some say they are biased...but they do give some decent info.

Otherwise, just ask other divers. We will always be willing to yammer on for hours about gear :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom