Equipment Service

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubanomad

Contributor
Reaction score
Been looking and didn't know where else to post this. But I been calling around to get my Reg serviced for the standard 1 year maintenance and wondered why oh why it takes a local authorized by Mfg LDS shop an entire week? I been asking to drop it off and wait or perhaps pick up in the evening, but no I was told takes 5-7 days?. I doubt Scuba operators have that one week to get their stuff serviced. Whats the deal? Is every Scuba shop so backed up? Even so why I can't make an appointment? Damm I can get a car serviced quicker these days.

One week is very quick for our shop for a few reasons. 1. I am the service tech & I also work a full time, 12 hr swing shift job. I get a lot of time off, but I also work several days in a row. Unfortunately regulator repairs in our area does not make a living wage, so I must work the "real job". 2. I am also an instructor for the shop 3. We service all the public safety team's equipment in a 150 mi radius & they bring it in 6- 10 sets at a time, with the nature of what this equipment is used for, it gets priority,... plus it seams from the first of the year until July, everyone else also brings in their equipment at 1 time. I am only 1 person & can only do so much at 1 time. In the autumn, I am bored with no work to do there.

I don't know that I'd trust taking my stuff to a shop that says they can do it while I wait.

I've actually never seen a shop offer 1 day or while you wait service, a week or more is quite typical. Lot of reasons. It does take some time to do right. They may not have time the very day you bring it in. They may want to let it sit for a few days after service and check again, soft parts can set and specs drift. Certain times of year lots of people are bringing their stuff in.

Most scuba operators will be servicing their own. They're not taking them to (another) shop.

What was already said. In.addition you are trying to get it done when everyone else who waited til the last minute wants theirs done. I strongly encourage my customers to send them to me right after christmas through Jan, Feb, March. Even then unless you want to pay a rush fee you're not getting one day turnaround. Many reg techs have other jobs. As for annual service what is wrong with the reg? Is it acting up, free flowing, etc.? If not it may not even need a service. Do you rinse and dry it well before storing it? Again if so why do you want someone to tear it apart and rebuild it. Most regs, if reasonably cared for can go a couple.years between service. The annual thing is no more than a way to get you in the shop to spend money. If you really need to.have them done in one day learn to service them and then you can do them on your schedule when they actually need it. This is what most ops do.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

You should probably reword the OP to: Wow! I can get my regs serviced in 5 to 7 days.

Around here it's more like 7 to 14 which is why I do most of my own service. Now if you have a Poseidon here, plan on mailing it off for service. That can take some time.

I just understand what I'm dealing with and plan accordingly, I have a lot of reg sets lying around. Or you you could offer to double the service fee for faster service, money talks and a lot of it talks loudly.

Bob
----------------------------
There is no problem that can't be solved with a liberal application of sex, tequila, money, duct tape, or high explosives, not necessarily in that order.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom