Equipment shipping - KL Malaysia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Washy

Reaction score
Thanks to some SB users we were warned about having our dive gear shipped to Thailand for diving in Phuket. Thai Customs, we were told impound the gear and demand import tax based on the cost of the equipment. (grrr!)

My question is: does anyone know if this is the case for Malaysia too? I was planning on having our kit sent to KL so I can get my arse out to Sipadan in October.

Your thoughts kind SB-people?

Washy.

i don't quite understand, why should you be taxed on used and personal gear?

i always bring my gear to malaysia and have never had any problems, except for the weight.

Washy:
...and demand import tax based on the cost of the equipment. (grrr!)

My question is: does anyone know if this is the case for Malaysia too?

basic scuba equipment is mostly exempted from duty in malaysia when new.

used equipment for personal use while in the country is as well. i shipped mine home after i ended my stint overseas and it was not a problem. some of my perchases over the internet was okay as well except for my cannister light (wasn't in the list of non-dutiable goods).

you should be fine.

Washy:
Thanks to some SB users we were warned about having our dive gear shipped to Thailand for diving in Phuket. Thai Customs, we were told impound the gear and demand import tax based on the cost of the equipment. (grrr!)
Hi, Washy,

Do you mean to ship your gear to Phuket before the trip separately or do you mean to check-in your dive gear when you fly? I went to Phuket a year and the half ago with my gears and did not have any problem. Not sure if I was lucky or if the tax on the gears is a new regulation.

Flown to Malaysia with my gears and didn't have any problems too.

OK - let me clear up my husband's post a bit:

Our gear is in the UK, we are in SE Asia, and are planning to have our gear shipped to us by FedEx or UPS. We know for certain that Thai customs tax personal items shipped to Thailand based on their value.

Our question is whether Malaysia do the same. We're NOT talking about carrying it with us on a plane, purely a shipping question.

Thanks for taking the time to reply to Washy's slightly hazy original post.

Cheers, Kywash.

kywash:
Our gear is in the UK, we are in SE Asia, and are planning to have our gear shipped to us by FedEx or UPS. We know for certain that Thai customs tax personal items shipped to Thailand based on their value.

Our question is whether Malaysia do the same. We're NOT talking about carrying it with us on a plane, purely a shipping question.Cheers, Kywash.

scuba gear is exempted from duty in malaysia if it's new (except for the cannister light i mentioned above). for used personal equipment, i had mine shipped when i came home, with the shipping manifest properly itemized, etc. i was not taxed. fyi i shipped about 2 tons :11: in total, of which scuba gear is a small part of it.

edited to correct my english and clarify the weight of stuff shipped.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom