Equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just got a package retail price of $2000 for $1220 from LP. You can build your own package from them.

I recommend calling and speaking to Frank. You also have the option to do it online, but I would go ahead and speak with him directly.

Atomic z2x and z2 octo (first stage 2HP and 7LP)

Mares puck air with compass

Zeagle stiletto

I built this package. I was in your same price range, an I would have gotten if for about 950, but I got an AI comp which was extremely worth it.

I dive Atomic regs (actually just bought the T3) and Zeagle Stiletto BC. The set up is a little pricey but that's not what I would expect you to be buying.

Cressi makes very good and reputable products. My daughter dives their Eyes mask, and I've used a rental Cressi BC in the past.

If you are looking for a travel BC there are many to choose from, although the Cressi gets high marks from Scuba Dive Magazine. I bought my daughter an Aeris travel lite from Leisurepro for $175. It is essentially plastic back plate with wings for travel. It does have more than enough lift for cold water local diving.

For a BC look for something light for travel, but enough lift for your local diving needs. I would strongly recommend a back inflate BC. More comfortable than jacket style and easier to trim horizontal in the water. Lots back inflate travel BC's to choose from. Zeagle has a new one, and check out the Aeris jetpack. Might be a little more than wanted to spend but will save some luggage charges when traveling.

Just about any reg is a good reg for recreational purposes, but many have their favorite brands. The Octo doesnt have to be the same brand either, just a dedicated Octo as your second.

Same with the computer. Suunto Zoop is frequently recommended as good starting computer. I have an Aeris XR1 bought online Scubatoys online for $125 as open box demo. It's not air integrated but I use an SPG only cost $90. Subgear also makes good entry level computers, as does Aeris (which may actually be the sister company to Aeris).

The other thing to consider with packages, retailers try give you good deal on one piece of gear, but include something they are trying to move that's not as popular. Not a bad thing, but you might do better getting individual components as opposed to package.

Good luck.

Call Scubatoys also. The price you see on their website is not necessarily the price you'll pay.

The AC2 is an entry level reg and not balanced. At depth it will be harder to breathe from. Maybe upgrade to the MC5.

Instead of the MC5, LeisurePro has last years Titanium MC9 Ellipse for $259. I'd consider that instead. It's probably lighter by a few ounces for travel. And has some titanium components in both stages, they're lighter, stronger and more corrosion resistant. They sell the Black MC5 for $299 that's in the package so maybe you could substitute for it.

I'd buy the XS Octo, it works, it's Cressi so the same person can service both stages at the same time and you won't find anything cheaper.

Last edited:
Just to muddle things up a little more...

You can get great prices on package deals but make sure that each item is what you really want and the best fit for you. Otherwise, it's not a good deal at any price.

If you decide to buy separately, still ask for discounts if you make multiple buys at same shop, online or LDS. If asked, some LDS businesses will match or beat online and you have the advantage of easier servicing.

BTW, make sure you can get local service, especially reg sets, unless you don't mind shipping.

Also if you buy items individually, you can look for close outs and lightly used or display items. I know LP frequently offers these at great prices. And this way you can add items as your budget allows.

Finally, if you plan warm water diving, most any BC will work for you. I bought my Oceanic Islander during my OW course and its one of the few items I have not replace yet and most likely will keep until it wears out. It's back inflate (I hated the feel of jacket style) it has small pockets that are functional. It's super light weight. I can easily pack it in my carry-on with my reg. And has enough D rings and attachment loops for all my gear. If you can still find the older style, not the 2, you can get a great price.

Hi Adrian - I would suggest that you do one other thing before you buy, if you can.

Have a few dives with rental gear where you note what kit you are using and how you feel about it. Most scuba gear works fine and is fit for purpose, but you will probably find that some gear works better for you then others, and what works for someone else may not feel as good or as comfortable for you.

If you can when you have whittled your 'wish list' down to one or two types and makes see if you can find a dive shop that will let you rent that gear so you can try it in anger. It's an expensive way to find that something doesn't work for you or your wife if you rush out to buy.

Buy once and buy right and it will last you a lifetime, but rush and make a less than perfect purchase and you will soon be raiding the piggy bank again for something different/better and so on.

Have fun and dive safe - P

Just something to throw out there. It's a lesson I learned when I bought all my gear this year as you're doing now. Dive shops negotiate on prices. It's a bizarre concept for me, since nothing I've ever purchased before other than cars and houses negotiate like this. Apparently the price tags they put on stuff in dive shops are just a suggestion. In retrospect, I've spent almost as much as a car on my collection of dive gear.... maybe that's why they negotiate like car salesmen.

I agree with uncfnp. I wouldn't go with a package unless you happen to really like everything in the package.

If you're comfortable with used stuff in general, there is a boatload (pun intended) of used scuba gear for sale in the world. Lots of people take a class, buy all the gear, and never dive again. Or dive on vacation only, where it would have been easier to rent local gear.

One thing you *should* get from an LDS that you can't get online is the ability to try before you buy. Assuming the LDS has a pool, of course (every dive shop near me does) they should be willing to let you jump in the water and try out the things you're thinking about buying. Service is another factor. Especially with complicated stuff like regulators. I've come to appreciate the service at my LDS's enough that I generally buy from them when possible despite the slightly higher price. LDS's seem to get in bed with particular manufacturers though so if you want some brand you shop doesn't sell you have to go elsewhere or online.

Oh one more thing about buying online. Best I can tell, most of the online scuba stores ARE an LDS somewhere. Even big ones like scuba.com; and I'm guessing leisurepro.com as well. If you buy online, it's a good idea to verify with the manufacturer that the store you're buying from is an authorized dealer. If not, you could still get a fine piece of gear - but you probably won't have any warranty from the manufacturer. Not to worry, lots of online stores ARE authorized dealers of various companies anyway. Just do the checking first.

most of the online scuba stores ARE an LDS somewhere. Even big ones like scuba.com; and I'm guessing leisurepro.com as well. If you buy online, it's a good idea to verify with the manufacturer that the store you're buying from is an authorized dealer.
LeisurePro has a small retail store in midtown Manhattan (and a huge warehouse) and lately are becoming authorized dealers for more brands - given that their prices are now the same as everyone else's. They also service what they sell and do special events like Demo Days at nearby dive sites.

Scubatoys is both a online retailer and a full LDS with pool in the Dallas area. full mfr's warranty on everything they sell.
Divers Direct has 6 stores all over SoFl. They also teach Scuba etc. Full mfr's warranties.
Dive Right In Scuba is an LDS in the Chicago area with a big online presence also. I know the least about them.
Scuba.com has a full service dive center in Orange County CA. It's staffed by instructors also afaik. Full warranties.

Any or all of these can be verified by checking the dealer locators on the mfr's websites.

Last edited:
Well I am not totally set with Cressi but my wife is. I can open up to other brands if they are travel friendly.
Budget 800-1000$.
You can get an excellent travel friendly Scubapro/SubGear package that fits your budget! I'll send you a PM.

Back
Top Bottom