Establishing trim with doubles.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Horn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I know there are several defining principles dealing with "proper trim" with regards to establishing correct weighting. What I am looking for is some assistance with establishing (if possible) a balanced rig as far as weight distribution.

The gear: Apexs xtx regs primary and back up. Long hose
Thermo manifold
3" SS tank bands
twin steel lp 72's
Stainless BP
44# Wing
14 lbs on weight belt
2mm neo Drysuit/undergarments
Turtles/springs traps

After a couple dives for trial/testing I'm a bit top heavy. Can't move tanks down as then I can't reach the Valves. Upper band is at the tank neck.

I got the 72's for free and perhaps they are just too small (short): I'm 6' tall. I can stay level but need to work at it

I know there are several defining principles dealing with "proper trim" with regards to establishing correct weighting. What I am looking for is some assistance with establishing (if possible) a balanced rig as far as weight distribution.

Thermo manifold
3" SS tank bands
twin steel lp 72's
Stainless BP
44# Wing
14 lbs on weight belt
Turtles/springs traps

After a couple dives for trial/testing I'm a bit top heavy. Can't move tanks down as then I can't reach the Valves. Upper band is at the tank neck.

I got the 72's for free and perhaps they are just too small (short): I'm 6' tall. I can stay level but need to work at it

If you pull up your lower legs or lower them, you either go tip down or tip up. If you can not change attitude with changing position of lower legs, you may be overweighted in a certain area. Have a friend/mirror/camera help with trim. It often feels quite different than it actually is.

Still don't believe all we've told you on OD? :D

I highly doubt the answers here will be any different (or better).

ha ha ha ha ha Steve, :)

I believe.....I believe.....was just getting the annoying "you haven't posted here in months thing" out of the way.

What are you doing on this board? spying? hahahahahahhha

72s are shorter than Al80s. Tanks are too short, and the SS backplate isn't helping you any either. Try an AL backplate, if that doesn't work, add a tailweight, and if THAT doesn't work, get the right tanks. A set of Faber 85s ought to do the trick.

PerroneFord:
Tanks are too short,
Unfortunately (since they were free) this may be the principal issue. But, ...
the SS backplate isn't helping you any either. Try an AL backplate,
Good suggestion. Going AL allows you to move 4 pounds down to your waist from a chest midpoint.
PerroneFord:
if that doesn't work, add a tailweight,
I have found this to help with trim with AL doubles
PerroneFord:
and if THAT doesn't work, get the right tanks.
That may well be the end move. But, before buying another set, try diving different tanks if you can. Don't know anything about your diving conditions / interests, but there are several ways to go, in terms of length, weight, etc.

My first doubles were Lp 108's, which were 100% natural and they just sort of worked "out of the box" for me. Then earlier this year I built a set of 72's for shore dives and other shallower dives, and I did notice a minor head heavy issue to start with, but after a few dives, it seemed to just correct itself. If I were you I would say just dive them a few more times, making some minor changes to position and weighting, and see if you can just develop better trim naturally. Move your feet around like Meng Tze mentioned. Maybe for your first minor change, take a few pounds off the belt and move it to ankle weights.

Jim

Thermo manifold
3" SS tank bands
twin steel lp 72's
Stainless BP
44# Wing
14 lbs on weight belt
Turtles/springs traps

There are many paths to solving a trim problem and you are getting most of them here.

I'll make one additional suggestion. Solve your valve access problem. Maybe it's your suit, or undergarment, or you need to stretch a bit (or all three).

If you need to run your tanks unusually high for valve access you will struggle to get trim. The added weight of two first stages and the manifold can be very difficult to counter act without adding too much weight "south".

Try this; Loosen up your harness a bit, and snug up the crotch strap. Don't worry about reaching your valves for this "test" Find a shallow spot with a flat bottom you can touch without causing a problem, pools work great.

Go lie on the bottom and add gas to your wing until a deep breath just lifts you off the bottom. The pool bottom provides a good horizontal reference.

If this works see just how far away your are from reaching your valves. A little stretching might be all you need, or better technique.

We do make wings that offer more lift at the divers shoulders, but males in cold water in a drysuit seldom need that.

Good luck,

Tobin

I have LP 85's & still am working on my trim. If I get myself perfectly horizontal, I feel like I'm nose down. I know in my case It's still just a matter of getting used to the set up. At this point, I'm trying to get some of the local tech divers to help me out. I think with just a little guidance, I'll probably smooth in no time.

I struggled with LP72s for months -- tried all the suggestions here, but I just couldn't ever balance them properly. The first dive I did with LP85s was like coming home.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom