Europe in winter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReconCPT

Registered
Reaction score
Hi y'all,
I'm going to be gallavanting around Europe sometime this winter (maybe between November 08 - February 09) and I'd really like to get underwater for a few days. Unfortunately, business has me tied to those months - not much in the way of flexibility. I don't want to dry suit it....is there any place in Europe that can meet my requirements? :confused: I was thinking Malta, or maybe somewhere off of Sicily. Any advice is appreciated!
R

Try Athens, Greece. The dive shop is in Glyfada, along the Saronic Gulf, southeast of Athens. Most of the local diving, done year round, is around Cape Sunion. There is a beautiful Doric temple of Poseidon above the cliffs at the cape, a famous historic landmark. Bring your camera!

Hi,

Be happy to have you down in Spain. I am located at Centro Escuela Buceo Mojacar

Centro Escuela de buceo Mojacar, Buceo Mojacar

I highly recommend to you dates encompassing the 6th to 8th of December. Water Temperature about minimum 60º F. With a semidry or a 7mm wetsuit you will be fine.

Thanks guys. I'll consider both Spain and Greece - although Spain is pretty far west for what I was looking at.
So I was perusing some other posts on Europe, should I look in the Mallorca and Ibiza areas too? I suspect the Med gets cold in the winter...oh well, more research for me! Still appreciating any advice.
R

I would expect you to get around 59ºF water temperatures anywhere in the Med in November and December on a calm day. January and February may get a bit chillier. Ibiza and Mallorca are good and you can do Menorca as well. I would be happy to recommend to you centers on any of those islands through a PM.

malta is nice for diving. there are a lot of wrecks around the island to explore
marine life is like most of the mediterrean, very scarce....

Malta is good, both wrecks and caverns and I didn´t think the marine life was that scarce...
ymmv

Large parts of europe close for winter. Ibiza, Menorca tend to close in October as does nearly all of Greece, Italy and so on. Mallorca MAY have one or 2 operators working through but not many.

Malta is your best bet (plus has the best diving in the med). Even there some operators close Dec > Feb.

Back
Top Bottom