Even careful people do dumb things.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

njd3rph:
To eliminate your problem filling your lift bag under these type of conditions try filling the bag using the exhaust from your reg rather then taking the reg out of your mouth. Just tilt your head sideways (so that the exhaust is facing up) and alow the exhast to fill the bag.

Typically, I like to keep the bag at arm's length to give the line less of a chance to catch on anything, but that sounds interesting. I'll have to give it a try.

Terry

Is it practical for you to use a dedicated hose with one of those special air jet devices? They plug into a standard inflator and have a 5inch rubber extension that releases air when you bend it.. Don't know what they are called.

I guess that is one more vote for the use of a pony bottle!

Web Monkey:
If I try buddy breathing, I'd probably kill both of us, since neither of us has been trained in it.

Dude, I'm a newbie and this statement freaks me out. You have no training in buddy breathing? How can that be? Even everyone's favorite whipping agency, PADI, trains people in that during OW certification.:11:

Lehmann108:
Dude, I'm a newbie and this statement freaks me out. You have no training in buddy breathing? How can that be? Even everyone's favorite whipping agency, PADI, trains people in that during OW certification.:11:

I think you are confusing the two:

Buddy breathing - 2 divers taking turns breathing from only 1 regulator

Air Sharing - 1 diver on a primary regulator 1 on an alternate or Octo

PADI does allow instructors to teach buddy breathing in confined and open water but it's not required.

WM, glad everything turned OK for you.

Rachel

biscuit7:
PADI does allow instructors to teach buddy breathing in confined and open water but it's not required.

WM, glad everything turned OK for you.
l

I'm actually fine. It was more embarassing than scary. I should know better.

The post was mostly a "don't get complacent" reminder for me and anybody who might be getting sloppy when doing an "easy" or familiar dive.

Terry

biscuit7:

I probably wouldn't have picked buddy breathing a first option anyway, since it most likely would have frozen my buddy's regulator, which would have taken one problem and turned it into two of the same.

The real problem is that I got sloppy because I'd been there a bunch of times before, and left myself with a number of solutions that might be more dangerous than the problem.

Terry

I think you will be SO much happier as a diver if you practice buddy breathing. It is a lot of fun actually, and getting it down with your regular partner will empower you, I feel certain.

Did you feel okay once at the surface? Were you air hungry, or not?

I probably wouldn't have picked buddy breathing a first option anyway, since it most likely would have frozen my buddy's regulator,

I thought the continuous purge did that?

catherine96821:
I think you will be SO much happier as a diver if you practice buddy breathing. It is a lot of fun actually, and getting it down with your regular partner will empower you, I feel certain.

Did you feel okay once at the surface? Were you air hungry, or not?
I was fine all the way up and had plenty of air. It was just going fast.

I thought the continuous purge did that?
On a non-sealed reg in 35 degree water any extra air usage can cause a first stage freezup and a freeflow. Sharing air with my buddy could have easily started his reg freeflowing.

The tech @ Atomic thinks mine was actually caused by ice in my second stage due to flooding it when filling the lift bag.

Terry

umm, yeah....learn to buddy breathe.

I m glad PADI does not do the buddy breathe tasks anymore due to the bio-hazard.

back in the 80's we were trained to buddy breathe, as octopuses were just gaining poplularity. Not everyone had octopuses. so we swam the length of a 25 meter pool and back sharing the same reg.

POST POST EDIT....yeah...I should have read what post #17 said...sheez...trump my post with freaking logic....why don't ya......grrrrr.

I guess you could not use your tongue to liq or melt the ice on the lever, huh? or maybe the tongue would freeze to the ice on the lever like ralphy's tongue froze to the light pole in "christmas story":eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom