Eventually want to get into Wreck Diving - what are the pre-requisites?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you for taking the time for such a detailed answer. I was planning to start the divemaster course soon to start trying to get more in-depth experience. It seems that side mount and tech 40 might be a better way to go for solid skill building once I get past the refresher/ re-entry into the sport phase?

Mike - Thanks for the course recommendation. Once I get my act together more that sounds like a good way to justify a trip to Florida.

just go diving! if you have a guide familiar with the wreck and you have a torch and you use a frog kick instead of flutter kick so you dont stir up silt inside the wreck and you make sure you can always see natural light at one end then no need worry too much or do tons of extra training. after you get a few nice wrecks under your belt and decide if you want to do some very deep big wrecks then you can do all that extra stuff.

Thank you for taking the time for such a detailed answer. I was planning to start the divemaster course soon to start trying to get more in-depth experience. It seems that side mount and tech 40 might be a better way to go for solid skill building once I get past the refresher/ re-entry into the sport phase?

Mike - Thanks for the course recommendation. Once I get my act together more that sounds like a good way to justify a trip to Florida.

Sure. In case you are interested, John usually gives the course once a year in New Jersey as well. Not sure if he will do that again this year, but when I took it with him, there were a couple of people from your neighborhood in the class. In case you want that authentic NJ wreck diving experience, like in "Shadow Divers"...! :)

I am sure you could find a instructor that would do the course for you in Hatteras in June. Graveyard of the Atlantic and all that. Wrecks from 60fsw to 300+. Whats not to like besides the current?
Eric

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom