Ever seen an O-Ring blow?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had the o-ring on the hp hose go on me at the begining of a dive at around 20'.
I heard a roaring behind my head that I knew couldnt be the boat.
I was pretty calm about going up, inflating my wing enough to be positive.
When I hit the cloud of bubbles that had formed above me my vis dropped to near nothing and i remember feeling alittle panicky wondering how far I was from the surface.

Maybe I am doing something wrong but I have never had a O ring blow in 30 years.
Or it could be I maintain my own equiptment.

Captain

wedivebc:
Yeah happened to a friend of mine. Woke up choking while doing a long deco. But then I have seen him take unusually long blinks while driving too. Scary stuff.

Must be jon-lined to the upline...?

captain:
Maybe I am doing something wrong but I have never had a O ring blow in 30 years.

Captain

i guess they dont make the gear like they used to!

i was actually at fault in the above mentioned incident.
i had re-attached the hp hose and only hand tightened it.
this happened 6 months later, so i imagine it was lose enough to unscrew enough to let the o-ring extrude. now i know better!

captain:

Captain

I've never had one blow either, in my barely wet scuba experience time compared to yours. Your statement is comforting.

Has anyone blown a well maintained O ring known to be in good condition, inspected before the dive, and properly connected, if applicable?

I've seen quite a few in rental tanks, seems like the high traffic these tanks receive wears them faster than those of owned tanks.

I make a note to replace the Oring on rental tanks every time I use them, cost next to nothing and saves a dive.

It's more expensive to sit out or abort a dive than to take a few seconds and replace the rental Oring.

Scuba:
Has anyone blown a well maintained O ring known to be in good condition, inspected before the dive, and properly connected, if applicable?
Not me - statistically it can happen, but as a practical factor, it would be most rare.

Back
Top Bottom