Everything worked out great and now we're REALLY scared!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is a dive I've always wanted to do and I'm very disappointed that I missed out on it the three times I've been to Kona.
Did you at a least enjoy it?

Did they mention anything about the Box jellies?

Not that I recall.

- Bill

---------- Post added July 16th, 2013 at 01:07 PM ----------

This is a dive I've always wanted to do and I'm very disappointed that I missed out on it the three times I've been to Kona.
Did you at a least enjoy it?

Sort of. I was pretty distracted at the time. I would like to do it again, with the experience we have now.

Advice for CD:

1) recognize that I posted because I knew we had made some terrible mistakes and that we were looking to learn from them. Go easy on the condemnations of those less experienced than yourself.

2) Look at the date of the original post.

Excellent start to working on your communication skills keep at it.

And yes I noted the original post was 1 year ago. Welcome to the internet.

billt4sf, just for the record, do you happen to know how much weight was added to the end of each line? Just a couple of pounds, I hope? Something that you would hopefully be able to compensate for if the line accidentally became detached from the vessel?

Did the dive op mention the dive a couple years ago where two Oceanic Whitetips showed up out of the deep and were shouldering divers and chased them out of the water. Imagine two 10 foot, curious, dangerous sharks coming out of the deep dark and swimming right at you. You are attached to a rope at fifty feet, spinning around, following the shark, panicked, getting all tangled up. Sounds like great fun. I'm betting this was not part of the brief. Somebody is going to be dinner one of these nights. The Manta dive is much better.

I am a new diver and am taking the approach of knowing everything I possibly can about any place I dive. The first question I ask is whether its a hard bottom or not. Currents next. I am starting to understand why folks say that buoyancy is one of the most ctirical things. It affects every other aspect of your dive from a safety perspecitve. I would feel much more comfortable doing a deeper wreck dive vs. doing a wall dive at 40 with the abyss below me at this point in my diving training. That said I feel i have respectable buoyancy control. Still I feel that is the greatest risk for us new divers. Passed on a Cozumel wall dive in Mexcio 3 weeks ago for this very reason and easily completed a much deeper wreck dive instead (hard bottom). Ask yourself what would have happened if the line broke or your wife had come off the line? I would never get in the water on any dive wihtout first getting 100% clarification as to the max depth in the immediate diving area. I would then plan redundant air accordingly as well in case I lost buoyancy and had to deal with a situation. Happy to hear all went well.
G

Just one note -- the weights are NOT attached to the diver. The vertical rope has a weight on the end of it; the diver has a tether which is sliding freely up and down the vertical line. If the vertical line broke, the weight would fall into the abyss, but it would only affect the diver to the extent that he was depending on the rope to avoid sinking.

There are a lot of things about this dive that give one to think, but I'm glad I did it. It really is a fascinating look at the huge migration of biomass that occurs in the deep oceans during the day/night cycle.

I had to get out of the water because it trashed my ears -- but Peter got out when the sharks showed up. :)

Just one note -- the weights are NOT attached to the diver. The vertical rope has a weight on the end of it; the diver has a tether which is sliding freely up and down the vertical line. If the vertical line broke, the weight would fall into the abyss, but it would only affect the diver to the extent that he was depending on the rope to avoid sinking.

There are a lot of things about this dive that give one to think, but I'm glad I did it. It really is a fascinating look at the huge migration of biomass that occurs in the deep oceans during the day/night cycle.

I had to get out of the water because it trashed my ears -- but Peter got out when the sharks showed up. :)

Were the vertical tether to part during the dive, the weight would drop, but unless the diver were so negatively buoyant that he/she would follow it into the abyss, the diver would merely have difficulty staying with the boat, as it gets pulled by the winds and current.

At least those were the conditions when I did the dive. We were being pulled through the wars by the tethers, as the wind and waves pushed the boat. We're the line to part, I would merely have drifted away from the boat (as I would have surfaced). A shout, whistle, flashed light and/or a call on my Nautilus Lifeline would have gotten a pickup.

We were briefed not to be negatively buoyant and not to rely upon the tether to maintain depth. I'm confident that any diver that negatively buoyant would have been counseled, corrected or "thumbed" by the DM well before any lone parting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom