ewa-marine D-CA2 vs. Olympus PT-010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jenny

New
Reaction score
Hi,

Newbie here! :) I'm going to the Bahamas next month and I want to take my Olympus C2000 when I go snorkeling. Can someone tell me the pros and cons of getting a bag style housing instead of the hard case? TIA!

Jenny

Hello,

AHHH yes the body bags. The ONLY time I would use a body bag like that is doing surface work only. Then again I would be more apt to break out my nikonos V for that. I would urge you to reconsider using any type of body bag.

Ed

Even if you are just snorkeling and the camera will not go past 3-4 ft underwater, you still have water pressure to deal with. Do you really want to trust your camera to a heavy duty ziplock bag? That's really all it is. If you just wanted to protect your camera from water on land, the bags would be fine but I wouldn't get IN the water with one.

Olympus PT-05, 07, or 10 will fit your C-2000.

I bought a big EWA marine SLR deep bag... I used $1500 worth of 35mm SLR gear in it at times... It worked quite well for the price... I'm sure it wasnt as nice as a real housing although it was a lot easier to rig up and maintain. I used it in the blue hole in belize down to about 147ft. The bag took about 30 dives... on that last one I noticed some small bubbles coming out of the bag at around 110ft.

Now, unlike rigid housings, the ocean will squeeze the air out of the bag decreasing its volume before it will begin to actuall fill the bag with water. The bag has a one way blow valve on it so you can inflate it yourself at depth. This meant I continued my dive for 5 more minutes before I surfaced slowly, taking a safety stop, and even though it had been leaking air for some 15 minutes no water got into the bag. EWA replaced the bag for free.

If given a choice between an EWA bag and a real housing, I'd of course choose the real housing because of the easier controls, but I was on a budget.

The most annoying part of the EWA bag is caused by the same thing that makes it really really hard to flood: the variable volume. The EWA bag is a bouyancy PAIN IN THE ASS! It's not unmanagable, but it is annoying. If you have the money, get a real housing designed for your gear. If you don't have the money, get an EWA bag.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom