Exercises to prepare for cert test...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bka317

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys. Anybody got any suggestions for some exercises that will help me prepare for my 200 yard swim and 15 min water treading? I don't have access to any where I can actually practice swimming. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

yikes... both excercises depend on pacing yourself. on the swim, take it nice and slow and don't hurrying yourself; it's not timed.

on the float, just lay back, relax, and let your natural bouyancy do the rest.

bummer about not having access to water... maybe a friend is a member at a gym
with a pool and you can do one of those "try out" memberships?

If you get tired on the swim, just lay on your back and scull with your arms or kick your feet depending on what parts tire out first. Main thing is remember it is NOT a race. If you have others in your class you will see what I mean. invariably most will start off full steam. Avoid the peer pressure of feeling the need to keep up. As for the water treading. You don't really need to actively tread water, you can float. just don't touch the sides or bottom. I thought it was for 10 minutes.

Why can't you practice where you will be performing the test at? Any possibility of setting that up? If you are really worried about it, talk to te dive shop that is doing your cert. They may be able to assist in working something out.

bka317:
Hey guys. Anybody got any suggestions for some exercises that will help me prepare for my 200 yard swim and 15 min water treading? I don't have access to any where I can actually practice swimming. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

Unfortunately, the best exercise for swimming is swimming. Just take it slow and steady when you have to do it. As others have said, it isn't a race and you can do any strokes you want.
My "survival float" was only 10 minutes and it should be easy. Lay back, arch your back and just float.
Good luck
Joe

Find out where your LDC does their confined waters and see If you can get some practice time. On the tread, you only have keep your head (or just face) out of the water. If you keep a larger volume of air in your lungs it will be easier.

If I make the assumption this is for your OW cert (where the tread water is 10 min for one agency).... as others have these skills are not timed, so take your time.

If I make the assumption this is for your DM, where both the swim and your tread water (this is 15 min for one agency) is timed and/or skill judged... practice, practice and practice. Remain call while doing the skills (particularly the tread water), remembering that smooth steady movements are more efficient than jerky movements.

I'm fresh from the OW certs and my 200 yard swim didn't seem that long. I'm not a strong swimmer (I sink naturally) so I mostly did an ugly relaxed backstroke kind of thing combined with a breastroke for the rest of the time. My instructors made us tell jokes for the duration of the 10 min tread but when I got tired of treading I just swam in tiny circles on my back while the other student in my class just floated on her back. The jokes made the time fly.

This will be my ow cert. I guess I was wrong about the 15 min tread. The dive shop where I'm getting my cert is about an hour away from me. They close about two hours before I even get off work. The pool they use is a local college pool, they don't have their own pool. This is a small shop. Can't wait! Thanks again guys!!!
Keith :dazzler1:

"The pool they use is a local college pool"

call the college and see if they'll let you in? i know our local colleges open their pools
to the public for a small fee

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom