Exercising for diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That SEAL training outline neglected to mention one of the (I think) worst "runs" that my SEAL friend said he had to do.

0400am: 5 mile beach run, carrying full dive gear-uuggg. I bet they didn't have to carry a camera-that's what throws me off.

He said the first ones to drop out of the program were the big, weight lifter/bodybuilder types. He said most of the guys were "normal" looking - except they had no fat on their bodies and they all could run forever.

Buff,

The seal training in the link is only prepatory. They are intended as a guideline to follow for those individuals who plan to go through the BUDS training. You are expected to be able to complete this type of workout regimen PRIOR to actually actual Seal Team training so that IF you actually make it into the Seals, you will be in good enough shape to endure the training they put you through. Those boys dont play around! One of my best friends and sometimes dive buddy is a retired Seal Team Commander/Instructor.

ever since I started diving (couple of years) I quit smoking ( a year and half now and put on weight), but I now eat healthy and exercise 5 days a week. I run a couple of miles a day and a little bit of weight training. It has been very hard because I was out of shape even though you couldn't really tell , but now I am feeling really good and steadily getting closer to my Ideal condition. One day at a time. I am looking forward to a much better dive season because of my improved cardio.:)

I started learning belly dancing last fall. It's a great aerobic exercise with a plus of developing great abs. And the costumes are so much fun.....

:egypt:

Originally posted by Damsel Fish
I started learning belly dancing last fall. It's a great aerobic exercise with a plus of developing great abs. And the costumes are so much fun.....

:egypt:

Where can I sign up for these classes?
I dont think I would look very good in the costumes, but I believe my increased Cardio rate from Watching a bunch of belly dancers, would do me good! :D

Dave

I thought I was in excellent shape for diving....Wrong!

I usually run about 12-15 miles a week on extremely hilly terrain. Its a very strenuous run, not only cardio wise, but it works my legs really hard as well.

This past weekend I did my first extensive diving of the season. I did my AOW dives over Saturday and Sunday. Long story short it was LOTS of diving. I was fine while diving, but today (Monday) my legs are just killing me. Im not sure what muscle it is, but the one that runs on the inside of upper leg from the groin down to the knee. Its the one you use so much during scissor kicks. I need to find an exercise to work this muscle....Any hints?

The running that you do is fantastic for diving, but the particular muscles that you are having pain in are not the primary muscles used in running. Your are refering to an entire group of muscles responsiple for leg adduction (pulling in). If you did the flutter kick you, probably would not be as sore, but that is not the most efficient kick for alot of diving.

To strengthen the adductor muscle you could lie on your side with you hand supporting your head and lift the leg closest to the ground up and down for specific number of repetitions. Then repeat on the otherside. For more resistance you could put on a heavy, shoe, boot, or ankle weight and do the same exercise. Otherwise if you have access to a gym they will have machines designed for the same thing.

Hope this helps

For exercise, I swim 5-6 days out of the week, 1 mile each day. This has not specifically been for diving; it was always part of my exercise.

Recently I added training fins to my swims, and I have found that they have helped a lot with my ability to dive in conditions with moderate to stronger current and surge.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom