Exhaust in my hood

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RIHappyDiver

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I think this is the correct forum for this question. I just started using a hood this year, 3 dives now, and at the end of the last dive I kept getting exhaust from my regulator in my hood. I could feel it going in next to my cheeks as I exhaled. I was not, however, getting water in my hood between breathes. The obvious question is 'why?'. I'm not sure what specifics, if any, will help, but it is a 7 mm vented Waterproof, it started at about 15 fsw after max depth of 33 fsw, and I was in a somewhat heads up position. None of these specifics are much different than the 2 dives previous. Any insight/input would be greatly appreciated, as would direction to a better forum if this is not the best.
Thanks,
Erik

It's a common problem. Heat a small nail up with a lighter and poke a few holes in the hood. It's better if you're not wearing the hood while you do this.

OP indicates he has a vented Waterproof brand hood, so it's already got vent holes in it. I have the same hood.

so it's already got vent holes in it

So now he should poke a few more holes in the hood where the air's gathering and they'll do some good.

@boat sju and @Sam Miller III Ok, so poke holes in my hood, but not my head. Got it! @Marie13, is this a problem that you have as well? I expected any air in my hood to expand as I approached the surface but I didn't think I would fill it with my exhaust. It was like a DSMB. Did I get too large of a hood?

I have same hood and get air in sometimes, due to bad habit of breathing out of my nose (trying to stop this though). Just push down the hood on your head again and air in the hood no longer a problem. But for me this only happens when i breath out of my nose as said, not from reg exhaust.

Maybe same for you?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom