EXIF not showing up when shooting RAW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nay

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hiya,
I have a C-5060 and just started shooting RAW. It's awesome, I should have been doing it this whole time.

I just got back from a week in La Paz and am totally confused about something. None of my pics have any EXIF data at all. Sometimes even the time and date created shows the time I downloaded it to the laptop.

I know that this isn't a funtion of RAW or shooting in Manual because I've done both before and gotten EXIF data. Any ideas as to why this info is missing all of a sudden? I really wanted to be able to look at what I was shooting to see what worked and what didn't. I've resigned myself to having lost the data at this point. I moved the files from the card to the laptop and re-used the card the next day but I was wondering if anyone else has run into this or not.

Here's a pic with EXIF taken in RAW:

http://www.ocdiving.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=5343

and here's a pic taken in La Paz recently that has no data at all:

http://www.ocdiving.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=6611

thanks

Under what process did you save from RAW to jpeg? If you used the "save for web" function, it will strip Exif info.

Convert to 8bit
Save As jpeg

Exif will be intact.

Assuming Adobe PS program of sorts.

Actually, it was lost during the transfer from the XD & CF cards to the laptop. My RAW files don't have the data either.
I have a 12 in 1 card reader, we popped the cards in, using Windows XP hit "Moved Selected Files" and dropped them into that day's folder. Could it be the card reader? It's new but my husband's pics off of his SD card have EXIF.

To answer you question specifically, I use ACDCee Pro, and in RAW processing there's a "Save As" button which saves to JPEG. Same process for both pics.

thanks

I dunno much about card readers or ACDC to tell you if they had anything to do with it, just sharing the only way I've lost EXIF.

card reader doesn't know how to strip anything from your files...
EXIF can only be lost during processing so you obviously changed some properties during conversion.

Or the gallery software is doing it (while resizing for us to view)...

btw. your first picture has a ".jpg" at the end, and the second one doesn't and that can confuse some software...

Thanks hvulin,

I know that it's not the gallery software or the conversion from RAW to JPG because the RAW files themselves don't have the EXIF either.

I'll keep playing with it and let you know if I find anything.

Raw files have even more info than in exif, but this info is not in any standardized format (that's why you convert)... So to get exif info your conversion sofware has to put it in a jpeg file during conversion!

But if you do any re-conversions/re-compressions it may get lost (if you don't explicitly force it to keep exif data)...

ommiting .jpg from filename can confuse some graphics software to (initially) treat the file as ordinary file (not picture) and to loose or ignore exif which is stored with it...

Interesting.
I tested it this weekend and it seems to have been a fluke. I downloaded some RAW files this weekend and they had EXIF. I guess from now on I will copy from the card and make sure they copy over correctly before deleting them.

thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom