experience needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
hey everyone, i like alot of people have been searching for that perfect bcd, im pretty set on TUSA because they seem to have an outstanding record and there products look top of the line. and i am currently not certified but will be by the end of the month of august, i was looking at the Liberator Sigma BCD and the Platina Evolution, can anyone tell me pros and cons about these 2 BCD's and if youve had any major problems a different recommended BCD? thanks in advanced everyone.

I have the Platina Evolution jacket BC and the X-Pert back inflator BC. Why I stick with TUSA is because it's a quality product. TUSA BCs are heavy but IMHO, they last. I've never used the Liberator so I can't comment on that one.

The Platina - Pros: Big pockets, lots of D-rings for accessories, additional quick release clip (I clip my SPG here), independant harness system, nice integrated weights system, comfortable, tough. Cons: Heavy, some D-ring placement not ideal for streamlining, metal D-rings on straps too high up for my liking.

How I go about buying BCs is as follows: 1. Try it. It's got to fit nicely and it's got to be comfy. 2. I look at it and figure out whether or not I like it. (Sorry. I am a gear sl*t after all.)

Hope this all helps in some little way.

thanks that does help alot, i figured the platina would be heavy which is why i thinking about going with the liberator but i really need to get to a dive shop and try them on and see what i like and how everything fits. but thanks for the help, i really appreciate it.

IIRC, Liberator is a popular one for OW training. I started out with one until I decided how I wanted to dive and moved to a different one. Now the Lib will be my back up/assisting BC of choice. So for what it's worth, a great starter imo.

I have the Platina Evolution and I like it a lot. Having said that, I think that if I had to buy a BC again I'd get something much cheaper. The thing is, now that I'm more comfortable in the water and I "understand" diving a little better, I realise that a BC is perhaps the most useless piece of equipment - if I can be allowed some hyperbole:D

But seriously, if you weight yourself correctly you barely even need a BC other than just to keep the cylinder strapped to your back. For the little amounts of air that you might add to your BC at depth you really don't need anything fancy. The cheapest and tattiest of BC's will do that just fine.

All of this Advanced Superior Comfortable Fit (A.S.C.F) and Wow Check How Awesome it Looks (W.C.H.A.i.L) - yes, it all has fancy initialisms for increased effect - seems to me to be of more use to a marketing department than to an actual SCUBA diver. When you're weightless under water the amount of weight that is transferred to your waist is rather irrelevant.

I don't want to diss the entire TUSA line of BC's, or any other manufacturer for that matter. All I'm saying is, before you buy, just think twice about all the fancy attributes of the BC and if it really makes a difference and is necessary. A more expensive BC will not necessarily improve your diving experience and, conversely, a cheaper BC might not detract from you diving experience. It might save up some dough though which you can use towards your next piece of equipment - a computer or a camera.

One feature that I do quite like and will pay that little bit extra for is integrated weights, or Advanced Weight Loading System (A.W.L.S) as it is officially called - oh yes, it's not just pockets, it's a system:D). But being able to do away with a weight belt is a convenience that I quite enjoy.

oh yeah trust me i dont fall victim to those little random things they add in that every other bcd usually has or is really not that important. i tend to fall into hobbies that have alot of things like that. im not buying a bcd until like you said after atleast my OW certification is done and maybe some other dives so i can get a feel for features i do and do not like, but i appreciate the imput, thanks alot.

Back
Top Bottom