Experience with Mendocino / Van Damme State park area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am considering trying to check out some caves, do some light intro to the area discovery dives just to see how I fare in the cold waters. I'm new to diving and don't have a boat and just sort of want to spend some time getting used to diving and coming up controlled, and have relaxed practice before I just run out into the large swells of the pacific and get my ass handed to me out of exhaustion or something.

Does anyone have experience maybe abaloney searching or anything like that off the north coast, preferably mendocino city/ van damme state park area or casper, maybe even as far north as the lost coast, like kings range/ shelter cove area. I want to dive pretty local to where I live without being exhausted driving there and then back after the dives.

Unfortunately the buddy system won't be possible yet but I'm not going very deep. I'll end up getting a small tank for emergency back up also. Before everyone jumps all over me with why I shouldn't go alone please don't. I understand the risks. I'm just rec diving and won't be going into weird places, I just simply want to get comfortable iwth my equipment without worrying about other people. I would like any advice otherwise though for the 'if you go that route'.

I'm going to get a dive watch and chill on the beach in between dives. I'd love to meet people at some point but I'm not really ready to do that just yet. I just want a relaxed low exploration dive for comfort building in a real environment.

The other question I had is the local shop in Novato a good shop to arrange finishing my master diver certification once I get there. I have 9 dives logged of the 30 I guess I need. I want to get that before the end of the year so I stay fresh. I do feel pretty comfortable with all aspects of it so far. I haven't been attacked by a mako or a great white yet so I don't know about that kind of stress, lol... but I think I'm pretty competant in most scenarios like getting stuck, things popping out of my mouth, damage repairs, executions under stress, etc.

I am considering trying to check out some caves, do some light intro to the area discovery dives just to see how I fare in the cold waters. I'm new to diving and don't have a boat and just sort of want to spend some time getting used to diving and coming up controlled, and have relaxed practice before I just run out into the large swells of the pacific and get my ass handed to me out of exhaustion or something.

Does anyone have experience maybe abaloney searching or anything like that off the north coast, preferably mendocino city/ van damme state park area or casper, maybe even as far north as the lost coast, like kings range/ shelter cove area. I want to dive pretty local to where I live without being exhausted driving there and then back after the dives.

Unfortunately the buddy system won't be possible yet but I'm not going very deep. I'll end up getting a small tank for emergency back up also. Before everyone jumps all over me with why I shouldn't go alone please don't. I understand the risks. I'm just rec diving and won't be going into weird places, I just simply want to get comfortable iwth my equipment without worrying about other people. I would like any advice otherwise though for the 'if you go that route'.

I'm going to get a dive watch and chill on the beach in between dives. I'd love to meet people at some point but I'm not really ready to do that just yet. I just want a relaxed low exploration dive for comfort building in a real environment.

The other question I had is the local shop in Novato a good shop to arrange finishing my master diver certification once I get there. I have 9 dives logged of the 30 I guess I need. I want to get that before the end of the year so I stay fresh. I do feel pretty comfortable with all aspects of it so far. I haven't been attacked by a mako or a great white yet so I don't know about that kind of stress, lol... but I think I'm pretty competant in most scenarios like getting stuck, things popping out of my mouth, damage repairs, executions under stress, etc.
I'm trying to read into this post and decide wether or not it's a troll, but to be fair I'm going to assume it's ligit.

You live in Mendocino but you're going to take classes at Pinnacles in Novato???
Why not go to Sub Surface Progression and do your stuff there?

You're going to explore caves ? Where? there aren't any real caves to speak of off our coast. Even if there was, cave diving requires training and buddies.

You're brand new and you want to solo dive because you don't want to bother anybody and aren't ready to meet people yet? That's what diving's all about. And you're going to get a dive watch so you can chill on the beach? What do dive watches and laying on a beach have to do with each other? Doesn't make a lot of sense.

If you want to go out abalone diving then get together with some regular abalone divers and go ab diving with buddies the way it's supposed to be done. Check in with Sub Surface and maybe you can get a lead on a buddy or people to go out with through them. People can show you a lot.

Please, if you're for real, do yourself a favor and meet up with some other divers and do some entry level scuba diving the right way for a beginner - with buddies. You are not a "bother" to anyone. Just be honest and let people know your experience level before you get in the water. They will thank you kindly for it and be glad to take you out as a result.

You can also meet up with the North Coast Divers and join in on our monthly club dives.
Go to www.northcoastdivers.org for dates and locations of dives. It's free, no dues or fees, but they will make you sign a waiver.

And don't worry, nobody's getting all over you about solo, you can ultimately do what you want, it's a free country, but your post is hard to follow.

I'll go with Eric and assume the OP isn't trolling.

You want to "stay fresh" by getting your "master diver certification" by the end of the year? Why not relax a little and just get in some dives with people who are more experienced than you are? Do this regularly and you will be amazed how much you learn.

I couldn't tell from your profile what agency certified you, but if you were looking at Pinnacles in Novato, they are a PADI shop, so I'm gonna guess you are PADI. If you have 9 logged dives you may have managed to get your PADI AOW cert right after you did your OW checkout dives.

If so, if you did want to get a PADI Master Scuba Diver cert, and you have the money and time, that's certainly an option. You would need to do EFR/CPR, Rescue Diver, take a minimum of 5 Specialty Courses (2 to 4 dives per course depending on the course, and you may get a 1-dive credit toward these from your AOW dives), and have a minimum of 50 logged dives.

People do this right out of the gate, and there's nothing stopping you, but divers with experience who have nothing to gain from your taking all these courses will most likely tell you that even with 50 logged dives you are still a beginner and just need continuing experience diving with people you trust who you can learn from. Sure, take some specialty courses along the way when you feel like it - they eventually add up.

Beyond that, what ZKY said above is very good advice from someone who knows what he's talking about.

How can someone put up a post so poorly written with a topic that is heavily debated and not expect a heated discussion?

Unfortunately the buddy system won't be possible yet

Anyone who just got certified was trained on the buddy system that does work. The original post just does not make sense. I wouldn't recommend anyone solo dive until they have at least 100 dives minimum. There are people who do it, but there is plenty to learn with a buddy before venturing out on your own. Plus who are you going to share your experience with if not a buddy?

I understand the risks. I'm just rec diving and won't be going into weird places

Do you really understand the risks? What are they? I go into a weird place every time I dive here, it is called the Pacific Ocean. Holds some of the weirdest creatures that we have hardly studied.

I just simply want to get comfortable iwth my equipment without worrying about other people.

So you are saying you are not comfortable with your equipment? Yet you want to go solo?

I'd like to go with Jeff and Eric and believe this guys legit, but the whole thing reads like a sockpuppet troll post. I bet the OP had a hard time not laughing all over his keyboard when he was writing it. too bad it wasn't that funny once the rum wore off.

I'm figuring now he was playing with us. It kind of sucks, I know.
But if nothing else, responding to these kind of posts at least can be to the benefit of other divers reading this stuff.
So in that respect I guess it's not a total waste of time.

I appreciate everyones time ridiculing me. I went to Belize and spent 2 weeks every other day going diving for PADI open water and open water advanced certification. I was going to take the Rescue Diver course / CPR soon at Novato because I am in the bay area more than I am in Mendocino and figured it was worth a shot with the amount of days they are actively setting class schedules. I never even thought about finding a dive instructor locally.

I wanted to get equipment and see how in shape I was before getting caught in a dangerous current. It makes sense to me to be safe swimming the coast in a sheltered area where I have swam without equipment on many occasions than to be exhausted because I'm not in shape enough to swim at some place off the coast and get caught in a nasty current not being used to the equipment baring stress on me.

I don't see the problem, its like swimming in a pool to get into shape... wearing a watch just in case I get too low.

I'm pretty anal about checking my spg so I then would have to worry pretty much about sharks. In the area I don't see that happening that close to the coast, but who knows, oh you guys would know that... that is the kind of advice I'm looking for here.

I was going to prepare my dive plan and wear a watch to make sure if I go too deep accidentally or purposely then my watch will help with any decompression stops and or nitrogen release time breaks I have to take that I have to make in between diving.

Those who are unfamiliar and feel as though chastizing me is fun the caves are more like life saver shaped 20' wide 30' high, 10' deep pools sheltered by the cliffs they cut into from current where I can get used to carrying the weight and decide how long of dives I would like to go on and get comfortable with the exhaustion factor in a safe low current area.

Anyone familiar with the area knows that it has a protected cove.

You guys are unbelievable. I know the standard advice. I get that, but of the 5 posts, none of them provided anything but attitude and only one piece of advice came out of it about the local dive shop.

Thank you for that advice at the very least.

Seriously, I expected a little bit different advice. Thanks. I have been completely turned off from sharing my experiences here.

Has anyone of you guys been surfing? That seems to be the same danger to me? Don't people do that and die or get injured?

I know this isn't really an arguable scenario because only I can decide for myself but it is a legitimate argument for my hobby that I chose.

Again I beg you for information not ridicule.

Again I beg you for information not ridicule.
If you want information ask for advice, not tell us how you are going to do everything against what yours and our training has taught us to do. No one is ridiculing you, we are just not sure you are for real, since your posts are written like a trolls. Do you know what an internet troll is?
Has anyone of you guys been surfing? That seems to be the same danger to me? Don't people do that and die or get injured?
Yes I have surfed a fair amount here in California. Not even close to the same dangers as diving. You have a big floaty thing attached to you called a surfboard. No lead on your body, no kelp to get tangled up in, can't run out of breathing gas, unless you get may tagged repeatedly, no chance at all of DCS or embolisms, etc. We also always surfed with our buddies, I have never surfed alone. Friends are what make the sport, surfing, fun.
I know this isn't really an arguable scenario because only I can decide for myself but it is a legitimate argument for my hobby that I chose.
Scuba diving is NOT a hobby, it is a SPORT! It also carries a fair amount of danger with it.
I appreciate everyones time ridiculing me. I went to Belize and spent 2 weeks every other day going diving for PADI open water and open water advanced certification. I was going to take the Rescue Diver course / CPR soon at Novato because I am in the bay area more than I am in Mendocino and figured it was worth a shot with the amount of days they are actively setting class schedules. I never even thought about finding a dive instructor locally.
Rescue diver is highly worth it! I would recommend getting around 30 dives in first though.

Well maybe you should come out with us on the Sonoma Coast and learn about the ocean conditions here (Same as Mendo), because they are nothing like Belize. Big difference between 80' vis and warm water vs 8' vis and surgy cold water, where compass navigation is a requirement. Strange again because you just said you want to dive in Mendocino but spend more time in Marin? Which one is it?
I wanted to get equipment and see how in shape I was before getting caught in a dangerous current. It makes sense to me to be safe swimming the coast in a sheltered area where I have swam without equipment on many occasions than to be exhausted because I'm not in shape enough to swim at some place off the coast and get caught in a nasty current not being used to the equipment baring stress on me.
Why not get into a swimming pool and swim 400 yards and time it. You should be able to do it in around 10-15 minutes. If so you are in decent shape. What type of equipment are you planning to get? "Most" of us use drysuits with thick undergarments. A few people use custom wetsuits that cost as much as a drysuit. We also tend to use a back plate and wing setup. Something few of our dive shops actually sell, but they are very very common here. The local dive shops to me, do not really stock any of the gear I use, other than regulators.
I don't see the problem, its like swimming in a pool to get into shape... wearing a watch just in case I get too low.
The ocean is not a big swimming pool here, and holds lots of dangers. Many people die just being swept off the beach/rocks.

What does wearing a watch have to do with getting low? Low on what? Air? NDL's?
I'm pretty anal about checking my spg so I then would have to worry pretty much about sharks. In the area I don't see that happening that close to the coast, but who knows, oh you guys would know that... that is the kind of advice I'm looking for here.
Once you are a confident diver you won't need to check your SPG to know what your pressure is. Instead it will just be a confirmation of what you already know. For now keep checking your gauge. I have had two newer divers run out of air :shakehead:

You don't see shark attacks happening? Tell that to Randy Fry who lost his head in Mendo :shocked2: There are lots of dangers in the ocean. Even a sea lion could cause an issue. My advice dive with a buddy! Kelp has killed lots of divers around here, including my friends brother in Mendo. Are you ready to start believing there are dangers out there?
I was going to prepare my dive plan and wear a watch to make sure if I go too deep accidentally or purposely then my watch will help with any decompression stops and or nitrogen release time breaks I have to take that I have to make in between diving.
What does wearing a watch have to do with going to deep? PADI doesn't teach tables anymore do they? If you did learn tables GREAT! Continue to use and understand them. I use tables and a bottom timer myself. Watches do not help with safety stops other than as a timer device. Great to have, but you still need to know and use tables. Do you understand tables? Are you planning on getting a computer? All of your diving should be non deco diving, until you have well over 150 dives and lots of training, through other agencies than PADI.

Going to deep is not an option. You plan your dive and dive your plan that you and your buddy put into place before even gearing up.
Those who are unfamiliar and feel as though chastizing me is fun the caves are more like life saver shaped 20' wide 30' high, 10' deep pools sheltered by the cliffs they cut into from current where I can get used to carrying the weight and decide how long of dives I would like to go on and get comfortable with the exhaustion factor in a safe low current area.
We do not have caves around here. We do have rocks with holes cut in them that are typically dangerously surgy. Not somewhere I would want to be in scuba gear let alone freediving gear. Surge is current of sorts and something to stay away from. The shore is probably the most dangerous part of scuba diving on the North Coast. Entries and exits are where people have the most problems. Your buddy can help in case you fall or need assistance.
Anyone familiar with the area knows that it has a protected cove.
We sometimes dive in the Mendo area, and everything I know about it says it is rugged.
You guys are unbelievable. I know the standard advice. I get that, but of the 5 posts, none of them provided anything but attitude and only one piece of advice came out of it about the local dive shop.
Everyone who has posted is highly experienced with thousands of dives between us. One works in the marine industry, another is an instructor, another a DM, and even myself I have plenty of training from different agencies under my weight belt. I highly respect everyone who has posted above and know them all personally. They will not steer you wrong if you choose to listen to them.
Seriously, I expected a little bit different advice. Thanks. I have been completely turned off from sharing my experiences here.
I would have expected exactly what you got for the way your posts have been worded. We are taking the time, and it does take time, to reply to your posts. Sorry you feel that us trying to help you is wrong. We would much prefer you to participate in this diving community and spend time learning from experienced divers. The last thing we want to read about is another diving accident with someone dying while breathing off an oxygen tank in the news paper :shakehead:

Please accept the advice that diving with a buddy is the best thing for you at this time. You will learn much safer and faster than you will on your own. Why not put up a post asking for a buddy to come out and share a fun day of diving with you? :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom