Experienced Diver to Instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brand0n

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I'm just trying to figure out the requirements for becoming a padi instructor. I am a commercial diver so I have thousands of logged dives. I would like to get my open water diver instructor to teach a few friends and maybe teach a class every once in a while when not real busy.

What exactly do I need to get my instructors and how quick can it be done?

I'm just trying to figure out the requirements for becoming a padi instructor. I am a commercial diver but I would like to get my open water diver instructor to teach a few friends and maybe teach a class every once in a while when not real busy.

What exactly do I need to get my instructors and how quick can it be done?

About $2500 and a week or so should do it

2500$ damn thats expensive

Thanks for the info!

2500$ damn thats expensive

Thanks for the info!

For PADI (and most others) that would be for training and the exam. The PADI exam takes a couple of days to complete and was about $600 when I did it.

They dont require you to have dive master or anything first? I have padi advance open water / o2 admin / first aid + cpr /

They dont require you to have dive master or anything first? I have padi advance open water / o2 admin / first aid + cpr /

Yes you will need to be rescue and DM as well as first aid, which is rescue requirement and have completed 100 dives by end of course.

Wedivebc got most of it. I just wanted to add that you need to be a 1st Aid/CPR instructor as well.
PADI prefer you to have their EFR Instructor rating (Emergency first Response), but some other ratings are accepted. Normally these days it's combined with the instructor course, but that doesn't stop you getting it done sooner.

you need to be a 1st Aid/CPR instructor as well.

I don't think so. Not with PADI anyway. It's recommended since you have to teach EFR for the Rescue course, but it's not a prerequisite. A lot of IDC's include it, but EFR is a separate entity to PADI. Even EFR (the company) aside, I don't think that it is a requirement for you to be a 1st Aid/CPR Instructor to be an OWSI. You might need to be EFR/1st Aid etc. certified, but they assume that you've already covered that in the Rescue course to get to the IDC in the first place.

I believe popje is correct. however with our IDC provider it comes free along with something else very useful like naturalist spec.

I don't think so. Not with PADI anyway. It's recommended since you have to teach EFR for the Rescue course, but it's not a prerequisite. A lot of IDC's include it, but EFR is a separate entity to PADI. Even EFR (the company) aside, I don't think that it is a requirement for you to be a 1st Aid/CPR Instructor to be an OWSI. You might need to be EFR/1st Aid etc. certified, but they assume that you've already covered that in the Rescue course to get to the IDC in the first place.

I believe popje is correct. however with our IDC provider it comes free along with something else very useful like naturalist spec.

Came in in March 2009 guys. All new PADI instructors must have the EFR instructor rating (or similar).

Back
Top Bottom