expired VIP... air still good?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A friend of mine once gave me a set of tanks that had last been hydroed in 1991. They had air in them, so I used them before doing anything to them (I did check the air - 21%). Assuming they were filled in '96, and knowing I used them in '06, the air had been sitting at least 10 years. No issues.

Yeah. I'd say the rule of thumb is anything around year old is probably fine, more than that, isn't worth $5 to be sure you're breathing safe air?

I found a tank I had forgotten about in my hanger. The air was twenty years old and sweet as a Spring Breeze. I dove it. No worries. N

Nemrod:
The air was twenty years old and sweet as a Spring Breeze.
Hehe, it likely had a somewhat lower concentration of carbon dioxide, too. :D

Last year I bought a steel tank from an old retired diver. He told me the last time he used the tank was around 1968. I tested the air for O2 content. It was 21%, not bad for air that has being in the cylinder for close to 40 years.

The cylinder also passed hydro test with the + stamp. No problems at all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom