Explore east side

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jomcclain

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My husband and I are going to coz in May for a week. We would like to take a day to see something of the less developed parts of the island. We will rent a car to do this. Does anyone have suggestions regarding natural areas, as opposed to restaurants or shops? Would enjoy crocodiles, iguanas, birds, etc.

My husband and I are going to coz in May for a week. We would like to take a day to see something of the less developed parts of the island. We will rent a car to do this. Does anyone have suggestions regarding natural areas, as opposed to restaurants or shops? Would enjoy crocodiles, iguanas, birds, etc.
The Punta Sur park at the south end of the island is probably what you are looking for. There is a road that runs along the southern 2/3 of the east shore with little beach clubs every couple of miles and undeveloped beaches between them, and it connects with roads to the west shore at both ends. There is no road access to most of the interior of the island.

On the way there, just before the road turns across the island, you will see a sign for the little Village of Cedral. It is very rustic and quite unlike what Cozumel has grown into. Worth a stop for photos at least, even if it is not on the east side.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Bienvenidos - Aldora Divers | Only the best of Cozumel

I'm a "head out the transversal and circle around counter-clockwise" guy, so El Cedral is on the way back to town using that route. Either way, it's worth a stop.

Not much in the way of shops on the east side, and none I can think of would be worth a stop.

For predictable wildlife, ggunn has steered you right. When we go, it's just to see what we can see and do beachcombing. If you don't go on Sunday, you're not going to see very many people at the beaches. Don't plan to swim, btw, unless you're at a beach with an on-duty lifeguard unless you know the area very well because of the rip currents.

I haven't visited Cedral in several years - maybe over a decade. I used to enjoy taking a short detour there, see the small mayan ruin, get my picture taken with the old woman's pet monkey or iguana, maybe haggle over a hand woven blanket or hammock. Is it still the same?

My wife and I did this a couple of years ago. What we did was grabbed a taxi (and opted for one that was a van, so that we'd be comfortable and were up in the air to see better). We negotiated a price, which (if memory serves me right) was $70 for four or five hours (I gave the driver $100 at the end, as she was very good, and very patient). Our primary reason for the taxi was so that we could enjoy ourselves along the way, and be pure tourists, as well as being able to partake at a few of the beach clubs, without worrying about getting pulled over.

As was mentioned above, we are also "clockwise" people, so we headed east on the cross-island road. Our first stop was the Mayan ruin, San Gervasio, where we got a guide who took us through the site. Next, we stopped at some of the places we had frequented previously, such as the bar right at the end of the cross-island road called Mezcalitos. We then hit a couple more of the beach clubs along the way south, having lunch at one of them, and finally stopping at Rastas. Whenever we stopped, we made sure to bring our driver a bottle of water or soda pop.

We then went into the Punta Sur park, but didn't do everything that was offered, as we had to watch the clock, we could have budgeted our time and stayed there longer, though, and cut out a few of the beach clubs. I have to admit, we've only been to El Cedral a couple of times, and then very briefly, so can't make a recommendation there, and we did not stop during this trip, either.

Regardless of how you do it, I hope you enjoy yourselves!

I'm a "head out the transversal and circle around counter-clockwise" guy, so El Cedral is on the way back to town using that route.
Unless your clocks run backwards from mine, that's clockwise. Are you from Australia, maybe? :D

Sorry, I'm half Texan, half Mexican so Clockwise and Counter-clockwise mean the same things. Down south is all I know but Cedral is worth at least a short visit. It really is the Cozumel that used to be!

Dave Dillehay

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom