Explorer II Turks & Caicos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We looked at both last spring and chose the Explorer. For several reasons - including a big one - $500 off additionally on our trip week.

Other differences I noted:

There seems to be an extra deck on the Explorer - the flybridge - which is covered with padded benches, they stock drinks up there also. However the Explorer's sun-deck isn't covered. They also stored a big zodiac on it when we were there - as well as the crane to move it. I even slept up on the flybridge a couple of nights.

The Aggressor is all bunks except for the Master stateroom - the Explorer only has bunks on the lower deck, the other cabins have twins/queens depending on what you need. All of the Explorer cabins are ensuite, there's two on the Aggressor that share. There's also two nicer suites upstairs on the Explorer, most of the rest of the cabins are on the same deck as the dining/lounge area. We were also next to the kitchen so knew what was for dinner b4 everyone else.

The Aggressor pretty much shadowed us for several days so they dive basically the same sites.

One interesting thing about the Explorer is that they vent the compressor heat up through the middle of the divedeck. And have two wetsuit racks directly above it so your skins/suits dry faster. I dive in a t-shirt and most times by the 2nd dive it was either dry or warm and slightly damp. No hot tub on the Explorer - or computer access once you leave port - there is free wi-fi when docked.

Food and crew on the Explorer were excellent. Some of the Explorer trips go to Grand Turk, IDK if the Aggressor does also. fwiw I've never actually been on an Aggressor.

Thanks for the feedback Steve. That was quite helpful. I figured they pretty much dove the same area so basically you have to ask yourself is the boat, food, and crew worth the extra? What time of year did you guys go?

Last week of May. Weather was good except for a couple of overcast days and a squall one night. Mostly flat calm during the week. The crew told us the previous week they'd had to cancel some dives due to more severe swells - it was only a problem for us on one dive - even then you just had to time your reboarding. In case you didn't see it in my previous post, here's a link to a really good trip report (not mine) with pictures: Saudio's Trip Reports

fwiw, we had a really nice room. 2 singles bunks with storage underneath, an aisle wide enough to accommodate a large nightstand and a desk in the corner of the room. Also they have real windows on the upper levels - not portholes. Bathroom was small but adequate. I'm 6'4 and only had to duck to get into the shower.

What an excellent trip report! Thanks for the link. A local dive shop here in the Raleigh area is going on the Explorer boat in April I think it is so I'll see what they have to say.

I also called the Explorer folks since I first posted and if you are will to travel certain times of the year (mid August thru October) they are really generous with the free spots and double them to four maximum with a group! When you divide that out over the group you really get a sweet deal.

I'll put in my 2 cents. I can't say enough good things about the Turks and Caicos Ex II boat and the company itself. I have been on this boat twice and have been on 6 trips altogether with Explorer Ventures. The booking staff have always been nothing but friendly and helpful. And the boat crew is always friendly, helpful, and I feel very safe diving with them. They keep track of you. They log the time you enter the water and then when you exit they log the time, your max depth, and remaining air. Also very good dive briefings.

Of all my live aboard trips, including 2 other companies, this has been my favorite boat. The layout is an excellent set up for diving. And the cabins are very adequate. And Stan, the cook for over 20 yrs, has been my favorite cook. He's great!

We also saw the Aggressor on a couple of the days of our trip and in fact the captain stated once or twice that we were waiting for the Aggressor to leave their site so we could trade off dive sites with them. I personally cannot imagine why anyone would want to pay $500 more for another boat that dives the same sites, but that's just me.

Well just to revive this thread, I have booked the entire boat (T&C Explorer II) for April 20 - 27th of 2013! My deposit check is on the way. I may, but I'm not sure yet, have a room or two available on the lower deck but I still have a few of my regulars to contact first. I know I have 16 for sure already. If anyone is interested let me know. I will probably be able to discount the price by $350 off the published price and I hope to have free nitrox as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom