Extra Sipadan or Manado?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bogbrush

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all! I'm going on the celebes explorer in Sipadan next month (i read on here that it has a dodgy reputation but i'm not that fussed about creature comforts) and am in a bit of a dilemma. I have a week before the liveaboard free for diving. Would you spend that whole week in sipadan doing shore based diving (given its stellar reputation) or go somewhere else? I am Singapore based for the month. I've read good things on here about Manado. Also Moalboal on Cebu sounds okay.

My only constraints are time and wanting to avoid excessive air travel/transfers as I realistically have 4-5 days of diving time if i go to a second place then fly back to Sipadan via Singapore. Much more interested in good diving than topside fun - hence uninterested in bali/phuket (which i've dived already anyway).

I've always really appreciated getting advice from people who've been there and done that - please let me know what you think i should do!

Thanks all!

1. I know you prefer diving over top side attraction but the trek on Mt. Kinabalu is interesting.
2. The wrecks in Brunei
3. A week at Lyang Lyang

There is enough in Borneo to keep you occupied for two weeks. You would struggle to get to Manado in one day from Tawau. We had 9 nights in Scuba junkies on Mabul, which was wonderful. We then had a night in Sepilok and three on the Kinabatangan River. It was our first non diving part holiday since we were certified..and we love it.

Have a great trip

If you are doing the Celebes Explorer's short, two-diving days trip, I would stay at Mabul or Kapalia and dive their and Sipadan some more. If the LOB is doing a longer trip, maybe adding in Manado is a good idea. Layang Layang is closer but not really worth it IMHO. Derawan, Sangalaki, Maratua would be a better alternative that may be easier to reach than Manado.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom