Extreme susceptibility to fatigue. Why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rjvencken

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
A friend of mine suffers from extreme fatigue after mild diving. I am looking for a cause for this.

This guy (40 something) experiences extreme fatigue and low tolerance for alcohol after occasional holiday dives. Sounds like classic DCS I but never shows any other symptom. This includes falling asleep during daytime sitting in a chair and getting hammered on 3-4 beers. His only clear medical condition is FSGS (Focal segmental glomerulosclerosis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) but I am unable to link this to the fatigue. The FSGS came up during a full physical where he was tested normal for just about everything else including PFO. We're talking just 1 dive in tropical conditions. The guy is of average weight and fitness, not a heavy drinker although a smoker. Doesnt have low tolerance for cold.

---------- Post added December 16th, 2012 at 03:08 PM ----------

Additional info:
This guy had the same experience on different holidays doing guided dives w/ different guides. So I'm looking not for aggressive dive profile or other bad diving practices but for a cause inherent to his physiology.

Check blood sugar level. Possible diabetes.

The diabetes related fatigue you mentioned should be present at all times. Not just after diving. The high blood glucose (or even ketones) should have shown up in the full physical. Especially considering it was done in preparation for a possible kidney transplant.

I'd recommend that he go to the ED the next time this happens. Blood tests could reveal electrolyte imbalances, hypoalbuminemia (decreased protein in the blood, which could contribute to fatigue), or other issues.

I had a similar problem with fatigue but not as bad as your friend and it affected me every day. I had blood test's done and found I had extremely low iron levels to which the GP was asking all sorts of questions and was suspecting internal bleeding. Turns out my community spirit of donating blood every 12 weeks was not so good for my health and once I stopped all my symptoms of nodding off and muscle aches disappeared. Get a blood test as suggested above is very good advice.

Back
Top Bottom